Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Welcomes

Welcome to class.

Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Please tell us what and where you teach, why you chose to take this class and what you hope to get out of it. Please also take a moment to answer the following question -

In the past people identified themselves with their peers by where they were when. For example, "Where were you when you heard the news about Pearl Harbor?" or "Where were you when you heard that Kennedy had been shot?" Identify one event that stands out in your life as one of those moments and tell a little bit about why.

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good evening - My name is Stephanie and I'm very pleased to be one of the instructors for your class. I am currently the librarian at Russian Jack Elementary, although in the past I've been a grant coordinator for the Social Studies department, an instructor and administrator at the Rilke Schule and taught at Nunaka, Baxter, and Highland Tech.

One of the many events that stands out in my mind is the 9/11 World Trade Center bombing. Sitting in the living room, listening to the news as long as possible until I had to go to work, and then trying to have a normal day with students while waiting to hear from family in Manhattan. Also hearing the planes fly overhead for the first time after the airflights started again. Everyone in our neighborhood went out onto their balconies and stood totally silent, watching the planes take off.

Welcome to our class. I hope you have a grand time, learn some new ways to integrate primary sources, and find a renewed interest in history.

This reply was deleted.