Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Class on November 3rd

Dear Teacher-Students,

I've reattached the reading for our class on Nov. 3rd here.  We should have quite the discussion and lecture with our guest speaker, Professor Guy Burnett on the topic of Citizens United.

Guy will be with us at the beginning of class, and the bulk of the class will be hearing from each of you (figure 5 - 10 minutes or so and that should leave us with time for Q & A's after each presenter) and how you plan to incorporate some of this new information in your classrooms.  We've already heard from some of you that you are already using some of this material.  Good for you!

Look forward to seeing you soon,

Kimberly

Citizens_United_2010_Edited.pdf

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Sarah for your reflection.  I appreciate your thoughts on the difference between common law and statue law.  You are probably correct, it might not necessarily be the best content for 6th graders, but I'm pleased it was useful information for you :-)

I'm sorry that you did not find the information on media and campaigning useful for your purposes in the classroom, Mara & I try to come up with a variety of topics that people might be able to glean material from as they are creating their lesson plans.  We understand that not everything will work for everyone.  Again, I'm sorry this wasn't useful content for you :-(

If we have time on Saturday, we will try to squeeze in a discussion on Ballot Initiative #1 regarding the Constitutional Convention and why it might or might not be a good idea. 

I hope you are going to take the next class in the spring.  We will be discussing aspects of the Alaskan Constitution and particularly the role of women even prior to the adoption of our state Constitution.

Thank you again for your feedback.  See you for our last class on Saturday,

Sincerely,

Kimberly

• Kimberly,

Not sure if this is the best place to post my reflection from last class, but here it is:

I'm having a hard time navigating the web page tonight.

@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; }

October 3, 2012

Voting and the Constitution

Class Meeting Reflection

Sarah Gotschall

It ‘s almost embarrassing to admit, but I was never really clear on the difference between statute law and common law.  I couldn’t understand how president fit into laws, but I was thinking only of statue law.  I found the discussion we had on the differences between the two and how laws evolve to be the most interesting part of the class.   I don’t think that I would address this with 6th graders, but it informed my personal knowledge.

Another aspect of the class I enjoyed about  was the brief discussion on Indian Law and its complexities and interpretation in Alask.  Years ago, I worked for a firm that represented Plaintiffs on a logging case in Cordova.  I got to meet some Native leaders and started to learn a little about legal issues and Native corporation politics. Prior to that I worked for the attorney who represented Molly Hootch.  These experiences were both informative but left me more curious about Indian law in Alaska.

I have two wishes, one is that we could have touched briefly on the Alaska Constitution-especially because the Constitution Convention is on the ballot. 

My second wish it that we would not have had as long a presentation by our guest.  I, personally, am more interested in history than social media in elections.  I wasn’t that interested in web page evolution and design.

I taught more extensively on the Constitution this year than I have in the past.  The upcoming election was my motivation and the knowledge I gained in this meeting and the last definitely informed and inspired my teaching.

This reply was deleted.