Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• 1:39 PM - WWII/50’s/60’s/Nuclear Age

This is a time period that I need to spend more time on; the transformation of our music and culture from the second World War to the 70's. With the country expanding its population exponentially, the diversification of musical styles was also in full force here. Many of the new genres were combinations of others. This, I believe, is where the real  development of the mix and match takes place. Once again, cultural and national unrest played a significant role in the development of new music. I think it is interesting that the old school “no touch” dances were still being pushed by many, including the “Animal dance” and Bureau of Music authorities. What types of music did they enjoy when they were younger I wonder?

The comparison with the unison/non-harmonic music of Thailand really helped to demonstrate the development of our own unique American sound.

Don’t we have a new sub-genre in today’s music where old “white” songs are being re-released by pop culture, changing lyrics to make them “more appropriate” for modern audiences? What would the name of that style be...?

• It seems as if the discussion of White Covers really resonated with many people!  It is fascinating!  Several folks commented also on the pervasive element of fear in this era - fear of the Soviets, of dancing, of rock and roll etc.  Great observations!

I wish we could have given Civil Rights songs, Protest songs, Hillbilly songs, Grand Ole Opry and Swing dance and Jitterbug more time!!!  This era was chock-full of amazing musical and historic connections!

Thanks for detailed reflections!!!

• More reoccuring themes; standards are set, people push the edges, ideas are stolen then changed, dances morph and music is mixed togehter.  I can most relate to the Hillbilly music.  My dad grew up in Kentucky and tells stories of dancing at the dinner table (because he didn't have a chair), dancing on stumps and dancing for folks and they would give him pennies.  He plays the harmonica for the grandkids and gave my oldest an accordion and my youguest a harmonica too.  Sometimes we will all get together make music and dance, even the dog joins in.

• I'm late in posting my reflection (forgot my computer) so I decide to check out You Tube to see some dances and stumbled on this clip 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoJReiCaPk  Whiteys Lindy Hoppers. Wow! that is some amazing stuff. 

• I do enjoy the music from this era. It has a fun flavor and the music is catchy. I like my students would like listening to this music as they are completing their work or in the morning before we begin our work.

It seems like some of this music is still around today and I will use this in my classroom. I enjoyed listening to the songs and talking about the lyrics with my group.

• Can't wait to tell my husband that we are exambles of serious history.  Didn't know about white cover.  I will listen differently to this earlier part of the era.

• I have primary sources from this era in my home. I have my dad's WWII artifacts, including a diary and a Morse code "bug" (the device on which a code sender taps "dahs" and "dits" ). I also have many memories of the stories my dad told me about his days serving in WWII as Chief Radio Operator in the U.S. Army Air Force. He spent 37 months overseas in the jungles of the south pacific theater. He often spoke of the music of the times and how important it was to the people. All the years he was alive, he delighted in hearing 1940s music.  There always was a grin on his face even though the music brought back memories of a war and some terrible experiences. The music helped people cope, and helped reinforce that freedom was worth the sacrifices.

• Talk about big social changes.  This era and much of its popular culture seems to be driven by either fear or a desire to break away.  I guess that is probably true in most eras and is the driving force behind most social shifts.  Students would easily find personal connection with the social issues of the rock 'n' roll loving kids (rebels) of this era.  Today's dance and music styles also have very visible roots from this time that can easily be explored by the students.  The sad difficulties of performers of varying ethnicities and their struggle to gain recognition for their work/innovations, etc. is a great subject for opening discussions with the students about acceptance, racism and social issues of today.

• I wonder if the Savoy Ballroom building is still in existence.  It would be great if that piece of American heritage was preserved.

The fast pace of change in musical and dance genres alludes to the globalizations that’s happening during this time period.  As we move closer to the present, styles seem to be more fluid and harder to define—for example the difference between jazz and BeBop or Rock N Roll and Rockabilly.  I see that in our music today—is it rock or rock alternative or indy or pop?  I couldn’t tell you what qualities define each subset. 

How will I use this in my practice?  I have no idea.  L  We’re past my time period in history.  I think, if anything, it’s a way to connect to where music and dance are today.

• Reflection #6 (WWII, 1950s, 1969’s & the Nuclear Era): As we continue discussing the chronicle progression of history and music, I am amazed at how black musicians persevere despite of the oppressive culture they existed in. The fact that people were willing to teach young minority musicians makes me proud that there were some willing to redeem humanity when so many others were set out to continually destroy the God given birthright of all humans. The patience and perseverance of those being oppressed was demonstrated by those not receiving credit for the music they created. The concept of the “white covers” did get their music out there, which I believe would’ve been a pride point, but was edited and recreated and called someone else’s. I can imagine how excited the minority population would’ve been when they thought Elvis was black and how disappointed they must have been to discover he was white. I think the students I teach could empathize with the injustice of this plight for equality and respect. 

This reply was deleted.