Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• There is so much great music from this era. And I hadn't really thought much before about the "white covers" and the attempts to make "black" music more palatable to middle class white Americans. It seems that there are always these attempts to make popular music more "nice" and less earthy. However, it seems that whenever this happens that there's another form of gutsy or rebellious music that emerges. In modern times I guess this would be rap. In this light, 60's and 70s rock and roll seems kind of sweet by comparison. I guess this is an ongoing story in music -- the once rebellious and shocking eventually transforms into the acceptable. We didn't get into the Civil Rights songs of this era; many of which have roots in early American spirituals and our great folksingers like Woody Guthrie.

• Loved the examples and the opportunity to discuss the lyrics among our group.  You can hear a song all your life and not really give a thought to the meaning of the words until seeing them in print and discuss them out loud.  Good use of time, but would have liked to jitter bug a little :)

• I think my kids would dig this age.  Although, I sang a Beatles song with my choir and they looked at me and said "What is this?!".  Shocked!  So as much as I love to dive into the old European music, I think I need to make a quicker move during the year to 20th century.  I do normally teach some swing dancing, include a little disco.  We do animal dances because they are "fun" little songs that use up a few minutes and get kids moving.  I have a new view of those "fun little dances" now :)  I would love to have my kids look at the lyrics to some of these and find the rebellion ideas and what it's all about and compare it to even more modern songs.  

I also learned that while I have loved "Jumpin' Jack Flash" for many years, I did not realize what all the lyrics were nor did I understand what I was singing.  What a great lesson for kids.  I know when I do talent show I often have to ask kids if htey know what they are singing about.  I usually get "Um, no, I just like the song".  Hmm... a lesson in the making!  Wouldn't this be a great era to start that with... using school friendly examples of course :)

• It seems like there was a huge Fear Culture during this era. Fear of the bomb, fear of the Russians, fear of youth and their rock and roll, etc. Seeing more ethnicity in music, although not all people were quite comfortable with the idea integration, whether in the arts or anywhere else.

• The information we are sharing about 'White Covers', and the adaptation of black music into something more palatable to white tastes reminds me of a documentary I saw about Country music. Before the advent of recorded music and the Grand Old Opry, my understanding is that music was shared more freely between black and white country style musicians who would get together to play. As Country music become more performance oriented, and white musicians were allowed a place on the stage, the music became segregated and over time, black and white musicians quit sharing their songs.

And don't even get me started about the sixties..... songwriters, protest songs, Kent State, Viet Nam.....

• This has to be one of my favorite music eras. If I taught 6th grade history I would incorporate the Charleston and Jive, Ragtime and Glen Miller in teaching history. I remember my parents who were born in the 20's dance the jive for  us in the living room every Friday night. This brought back so many fond memories.

This reply was deleted.