Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• This dancing seems a bit more complicated but fun. It is interesting how the dancing and "touching" goes with the time period. The dancing here doesn't seem something you would do as the whole family because it is a little bit more risky. The clothing they would wear as well is a bit more risky. I have seen pictures of what they wear and I really like the outfits.

I think this would be fun to teach to my students, but just modify it a bit. It is interesting how the moves are shared between the different time periods. The music is somewhat the same as well, the beats are just slowed down or sped up.

• Many of the dances so far have struck me as great tools for the classroom but these inspire me to become a better and more trained dancer.  I want to take Swing, Lindy Hop and Charleston lessons.  I do appreciate the Charleston style line dance to so this great pair dance is more approachable in the classroom.  I could see teaching my class swing, if I were more familiar with the moves and music.  

Something I think is really interesting, though maybe more complicated a conversation than I am ready to have with my 3rd graders, is the idea of white, middle class people taking the style and dance inventions of the black community and making a living delivering them to the white upper class population.  

• My favorite era of music and dance as well as fashion!!!!  There is such a rich history for the kids to explore from this time period.  So much of it will resonate with the kids of today as they face economic difficulties with their families and the normal pressures and troubles of growing up and finding their way in the world.  I sure wish the community aspect of the dance and music of this era had not evolved and changed so much.  I think the social commentary of music and dance from any era is important for our students to dig into.  That is how we can truly dive into any people group and learn about their culture and traditions, their struggles, their growth and progress, the developments that have led to the traditions, etc of today.  If our students can learn to do this they will have a richer and more enjoyable experience in all aspects of life!

• This section put many things together for me.  I didn't realize that these music and dances were being developed at the same time.  It's also extremely relavant that these styles and songs were developed by Black American's and sadly, most were unable to be compensated for their art.  It was only in the last 15 yrs. that most rock and rollers- Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, etc. songs are from blues artists who were not finacially compensated.

Also, twas interested that I recently watched another documentary about Cab Calloway and the Harlem Renassance.  The dancers at the Cotten Club had to pass the "paper bag test".  If the dancer was darker than a brown paper bag, they couldn't dance there.   It all brings up such interesting "social" issues that we certainly are still struggling with today.  

• Beautiful dancing and history lesson on where the dances came from, how they evolved, and where they originated. There was a lot of variation on the different dance moves ranging from basic to extra-fancy. Would have been neat to see even more dance examples of the era.

• Our guest dancers are a rich resource in our community. The economic and social implications of the dance of this era are fascinating. Having the opportunity to make connections between dance steps, rather than to look at them as individual steps, helps bring continuity to the evolution of dance in this era.

This reply was deleted.