Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Introductions

Hello!  Welcome to our discussion board!  I am eagerly anticipating our two days together! 

A bit about me: I am currently the classroom music teacher at Russian Jack Elementary.  In addition to teaching children for 13 years, I have taught music & social studies classes for teachers through ASDSA, the Kennedy Center partnership at the AK Center for the Performing Arts and the Alaska State Music Educators' Conference.  I believe music and social studies tell the stories that have shaped us as people, and as a country.

As a way to start our class community - please introduce yourself, your current teaching assignment and what you are most looking forward to from this class. 

Looking forward to working with you on May 24 and 25!

~Elizabeth

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a response from Hannah Johnston. She's had some email issues, so I'm posting for her.

My name is Hannah Johnston and I teach K-6 Classroom Music at Kasuun Elementary.  I teach music not just because it is my passion, but because it has the power to bless so many people.   The combination of music and dance helps us to tell stories, learn about the past, make connections, promote community and camaraderie, and above all else appreciate and enjoy a vital part of cultures around the world.  I incorporate music and dance constantly and can't wait to take some more tools into my classroom.  I am most looking forward to the opportunity to build more connections between American music and the changes in a world that shaped it.  Can't wait to move!
    -Hannah

• Good Morning,

I am Jennifer Haynes and I am currently teaching at Rogers Park. I teach 5th grade in the Highly Gifted Program and love teaching US History. I am looking forward to learning how to add more music and dance to my classroom. Each year I put on a musical theater production with my class and I am always grateful to Karen Horton, our music teacher, for her flexibility and for sharing her stage space!  

• * Mike Baum

* Dimond High

* Social Studies

* Looking forward to learning more about the connection between history and dance... and maybe to learning a few moves in the process!

• Hello!  My name is Katie Campbell.  I teach classroom music at Chugiak Elementary.  The upcoming school year will be my 4th year at Chugiak and will make 7 years of teaching for me!  I have always loved the connection of history and music and I thought this would be a great (and fun) way to learn more about the two!  Plus, what better way to earn a credit than to dance for 2 days!  I just can't wait to see where this class begins and ends!

• Hi!

My name is Lisa Kelzenberg.  I taught High School PE at West and Service High from 1991-2003.  Then resigned to be a full-time mom and wife.  I am currently a sub for the ASD.  I am excited to learn new ways to "cross curriculums" of History and the physical activity of dance.

• Hello,

I am the librarian at North Star Elementary and love both primary sources and music. I have been involved in music for most of my adult life, as a performer, songwriter and choir member and am so excited to participate in a class that combines two of my great interests.

I should add that my first real introduction to Library of Congress primary source materials was the audio collection at my alma mater, Adams State College in Alamosa, Colorado. Our college library was a partial depository for LoC materials and we had numerous recordings from the Alan Lomax collection. I loved these and took many of them home for a listen and even played some of them on air as a DJ at the college radio station. Sweet memories!

Thank you to you and ANUAH for offering this class - !

Neva Reece

• Happy Summer!  I'm Meredith McCool and I teach 4th and 5th grade at Polaris K-12.  I'm super excited about this class, both as a teacher of history and a student of dance.  My students love utilizing primary sources and sharing their learning in creative ways.  We recently staged a multimedia production of Paul Fleischman's Bull Run, using images from the Library of Congress as our backdrop and music from the National Jukebox.  As a dancer myself, I can't wait to add that layer to my bag of tricks.  

• Hi my name is Amanda Berger and I teach preschool at the Alaska Native Cultural Charter School.  I look forward to learning more about the historical aspect of music and new ideas for my class as well.  

• I am Alicia and am currently teaching third and fourth grade in Napakiak, Alaska. Napakiak is a small village outside of Bethel. I have been teaching in Alaska for two years and am originally from Canton, Ohio.

Teaching social studies was new to me this year, so I am looking for ideas to use in my classroom. Next year I will be teaching Alaska studies so I want to incorporate movement into that somehow. I have tried movement in other aspects of my class (p.e. and reading) and now want to try social studies.

• Hi, my name is Erin Peterson, and I am currently teaching at College Gate Elementary in Anchorage, AK.  I recently returned to the Music Classroom after having taught 3rd grade for 3 years.  I am very much looking forward to learning more about how music and dance have shaped our societal structure.  Cheers!

This reply was deleted.