Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• I love square dancing or whatever quadrangle you want to call it!!  I think the thing I like the most about it is the lack of formal rules that dominated so many of the earlier dances.  You still have "rules" but they are looser and generally less rigid than styles such as the minuet.  I understand the history better now, which definitely is visible in the dancing!

• That was fun!  I remember not having much of an appreciation of “square dancing” as a junior high student, but I couldn’t help smiling today as I was dancing.  This was not as difficult as the waltz, so definitely my fourth grade students could learn and enjoy.

• Fun dance with simple beat...easier than waltz. Don't teach colonial times but might use it with Spanish immersion students to review numbers...count by 2s, 5s, 10s.
  • The Quadrille was energizing!  Fifth graders would love this dance for its simplicity and beat.  It is easy to teach and fun to learn! I am so glad this class refreshed my memory of the dance.  I will definitely use it in the fall!

• As a Music teacher, it was interesting to learn more about the traditional instruments from this era--also, I enjoyed learning about the changing social mores in regards to dance.  I am fascinated by the way that we are overlapping world and U.S. history...it makes one realize one's place in the world! Dancing the quadrille was fun, even if I did have to be a guy in it :)

This reply was deleted.