Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• I found the connection between the costumes and the dance moves interesting! When we discussed the Renaissance Era, fancy man legs, corresetts, and the minuet it really shed light on the Pre-Colonial Era as far as their behaviors and courting rituals.
    The ornate nature of these eras really displays the lack of modern extra curricular that our kids are used to now. It's fun to "blow" my kindergartners minds when I tell them there was no such things as DVDs when I was a kid, so it'll be interesting to try explaining this time period to them. :)
  • Typing on my phone will make this a short reply to which I can expand later if necessary; this morning has been very insightful and offered a wealth of classroom opportunity. Regarding specifically the Pre-Columbus Era, I feel this would make a nice addition to my AK Studies classes. With AK Studies moving to the freshmen level next year, I think this would make for a nice introductory lesson not only to the class, but a great high school ice breaker activity.
    The minuet dance lesson was both informative, fun, and engaging. I hold a Renaissance Faire with my freshmen every year and we have never danced! This year the choir visited our Faire and shared a madrigal. In future classes I would like to reach the minuet first so that during out Faire we could dance while the choir performed.
    As to the Baroque Era, I feel a discussion and response regarding fashion would be appropriate.
  • We certainly covered an amazingly BIG time span. I'm trying to listen with an open mind, as I'm not terribly fond of the pre-Columbian songs and chants. Still, I find that I quite enjoyed the welcoming dance and see it as a great way to start a day with my 4th and 5th graders. It would be just enough of a meeting between students to help them forge a connection. My personal challenge is going to be freeing up my achy knees and giving in to the dance. I definitely agree with you both, though, that if I try it so will my students. I enjoy the connection between fashion/clothing and its influence on dance and culture.

• I really enjoyed listening tot he Dance Song from the Night Chant--to hear the different instrumental sounds and vocals--sounded like it was almost inspiring the tribe to do something, or possibly celebrating something that was already achieved.  I was trying to picture the time in my mind, and imagine what it might have looked like had I been able to witness it.  Doing the steps to the Welcome Dance was pretty neat- I know my kids would definitely enjoy doing that--maybe something we could do at the beginning of the school year to start!

The "O Magnum Mysterium" was so peaceful to listen to.  I felt very relaxed while it was on, and could see now why the Chant had become so popular not too long ago.  If anything, I could at least see using that in my class to bring some calmness back!

WOW!  The minuet was intense! ha  It is pretty amazing how detailed that time period was- not only in dress, but in the steps.  Being up on your toes, chin up, etc... I could see using that in class and trying to teach them to persevere through it as it is a tough dance to learn.  I know some fifth graders would be hesitant with the partnering up, but hopefully by the time we get to this, we will have created a strong classroom environment where they would be comfortable enough to do so.

• I like the Welcome Dance to use in my elementary classroom as a getting to know each other activity on the first or second day.  I think kids today would  would  enjoy knowing how scandalous their dancing today would have been to people  in the Renaissance and Baroque eras!

• I think it is interesting to see how the dance's motions, postures, and clothing reflect the way people interacted within the society at the time.  The hands, the gaze, the bows, the distance between men and women, etc, all reflect emotional or hierarchical divisions.  It is also interesting to see how these dances were precursors to dances of our culture today. 

This reply was deleted.