Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• Final project with Contextual Paragraph revised.

ARSChaitoff.doc

• Hi Stephanie, I received your June 12th email today, and I have made some changes to my final project per your suggestions. I've included the Common Core Standards, and have refined my essential question.  Thank you,

Keith

ARS.KAPerrins_finalproject.doc

• Stephanie and Lisa,

Just got your email at the ASD webmail...glad I checked it. I don't know WHAT I did to the form to lose Section 9. Here it is.  THANKS

using Media.doc

• 4. Essential Question:

How does Alaska law (AS 16.05.195) allowing the State to seize equipment (guns, ATV’s, boats, airplanes etc.) for violations of fish & game laws relate to the Eighth Amendment provisions of the U.S. Constitution prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment?

5. Contextual  Paragraph

As it stands now, the State of Alaska Department of Fish & Game, under existing law, is empowered to seize the equipment of anyone caught violating Alaska’s complex hunting and fishing regulations.  Even in cases of unintentional violations, all types of equipment, up to and including aircraft worth $100,000 or more, have been seized by the State and sold at auction, the net proceeds then deposited in the State’s general fund.  In sharp contrast, autos and other equipment used in the commission of violent felony crimes, for example, are routinely returned to their owners or their designees after they have been processed for evidence.  These primary source documents are intended to inform students’ exploration of the evolution of human rights in the West; the fully-developed unit will include more recent documents, especially as relates to legal precedents that have shaped Alaska’s fish and game laws.  As students trace the legal progression to the U.S. Bill of Rights and beyond, they will be prepared to follow the case now working its way through the Alaska courts seeking to throw out AS 16.05.195 as unconstitutional, thus requiring a legislative re-write. 

8. Curriculum Standards

Reading Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies 6-12

Integration of Knowledge and Ideas (11-12)

9. Integrate information from diverse sources, both primary and secondary, into a coherent understanding of an idea or event, noting discrepancies among sources.

• 4. Essential Question:

How does Alaska law (AS 16.05.195) allowing the State to seize equipment (guns, ATV’s, boats, airplanes etc.) for violations of fish & game laws relate to with the Eighth Amendment provisions of the U.S. Constitution prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment?

5. Contextual  Paragraph

As it stands now, the State of Alaska Department of Fish & Game, under existing law, is empowered to seize the equipment of anyone caught violating Alaska’s complex hunting and fishing regulations.  Even in cases of unintentional violations, all types of equipment, up to and including aircraft worth $100,000 or more, have been seized by the State and sold at auction, the net proceeds then deposited in the State’s general fund.  In sharp contrast, autos and other equipment used in the commission of violent felony crimes, for example, are routinely returned to their owners or their designees after they have been processed for evidence.  These primary source documents are intended to inform students’ exploration of the evolution of human rights in the West; the fully-developed unit will include more recent documents, especially as relates to legal precedents that have shaped Alaska’s fish and game laws.  As students trace the legal progression to the U.S. Bill of Rights and beyond, they will be prepared to follow the case now working its way through the Alaska courts seeking to throw out AS 16.05.195 as unconstitutional, thus requiring a legislative re-write. 

8. Curriculum Standards

Reading Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies 6-12

Integration of Knowledge and Ideas (11-12)

9. Integrate information from diverse sources, both primary and secondary, into a coherent understanding of an idea or event, noting discrepancies among sources.

• Revised ARS/Will Staats

• Here is my lesson. Thanks for a great class! This will transform my units/lessons.

using Media.doc

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7314582865?profile=original
  • I hope it is still okay and my project is okay as well...

Thank you!

ARS_matsushita.doc

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7314566893?profile=original
  • Staats Final Project

ARS_template.Staats.doc

• Keith Perrins - final project. 

ARS.KPerrins_finalproject.doc

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7314580272?profile=original
This reply was deleted.