Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to improve activities and my essential questions. I also wanted to include a lesson on Slave Culture and how parts of African cultures survived slavery and played a role in the resilience of enslaved people--so ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Slavery%20Unit%20Plan.pdf

Slavery%20Web%20Search.pdf

Slavery%20vs%20Factory%20Workers%20Venn%20Diagram.pdf

Northern%20Factory%20Worker.pdf

stono%20rebellion.pdf

I have a PowerPoint that is too large to upload, but it has a lot of great images, maps, and charts-- let me know if you want it!

Slavery%20quiz.pdf

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you want to use them, there are a variety of photos about industrialization  in the national archives that would be a GREAT resources for students. These are on line. I'm sure that there are other sources as well- -It might be fun to look at photos and compare them with the reading to get a deeper, richer knowledge base and emotional reaction to industrialization.  Actually similar photos exist for slavery as well-- it might be fun to compare PHOTOS and probe for deeper similarities and differences in these tow experiences --not only at the surface, but also in how the people involved would FEEL!
  • I LIKE the comparison of N factory workers and S slaves. The Venn diagram is REALLY useful for students who need something concrete to make comparisons--I'd discuss how/when to use this tool--don't assume that they will "get  it."It might be interesting to broaden it just a tad to look at modern day workers--are they "enslaved"? Do we enslave ourselves-- think of cows that stay in a field after the fences are torn down--and if so how. What mental fences do we build that limit us? How do we allow others to build fences around us? Do those fences serve a useful purpose an, if so, for whom--Do they protect us I'd also tip students off to watch for: BOTH slavery and the worst abuses  of industrial factory life have disappeared. As we study US history look for how did those changes occurred -- what caused these evils to disappear?  What can we learn from these changes??
  • Slavery internet worksheet

A LOT of details in here--perhaps it IS all necessary--but I'd suggest that you sit for a minute and ponder--what do I REALLY want student to "get" from this activity? Ten LOOK carefully at EACH question --does it move them toward what you felt was important? Is it essential or does it overlap or duplicate other questions? The questions at the end raise the activity from simply collecting factual info to students' emotional reaction to that info. Might it be useful to add a question around # 8 --summarize all of this "stuff?" What do all of these factoids mean when put together? Just a thought??

• Hi Jami:

This is PRECISELY the  type of unit I was hop[ping would come out  of the class-- an in-depth look at a significant topic, but at the same time one that raises enduring issues and questions that cut across time and place.  Your essential questions do that!! GOIOD JOB!

I DO have a concern. The objectives make NO mention of anything beyond content although you have used GOOD verbs to describe them--not just having students "know" something. But from these objectives I can assume that you will spend no energy or time teaching any skills and, despite an overall hope that students will develop empathy, since neither it nor any other affects are listed as objectives, I can only assume that you will not spend anytime teaching/cultivating empathy, commitment to ethical behavior, having the courage to act on one's convictions, or any other dispositions required in a democracy 

• I really liked the Factory essay you attached-I already stole it!  I would love to see you PowerPoint.  I also have a 20 slide PowerPoint that can be used for Child Labor and little bit of Industrial Revolution (I think)  Let me know if you'd like to have it....
This reply was deleted.