Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• Jami:

I did NOT look closely at the cells that had something in them, BUT i think it WOULD be useful to rethink those. I focused my attention on the cells that were blank and have the following thoughts

Colonial sense of mission--There was clearly a sense of divine providence guiding many who came here --especially in NE= but to a lesser degree in other state PA,GA etc.

REV and econ-Much of the conflict was generated about economics--Taxation without representation.  The mercantile class was a leading force to escape English economic control

Rev and sense of Mission--the REV  became a touchstone of proof of God's selection of Americans as divinely protected people

W exp and tech--Canals, RR, toll roads and conestoga wagons all were essential in this

W expand culkt-- the frontier generate a special culture--see Turner although much of his thesis has been discredited There is something culturally unique about the frontier.

Slavery and mission --a driving force supporting slaver was the idea of Masters civilizing Blacks

Civil war and Cultur-- the civil war made a deep impression on  the US until well after 1900 it colored US voting patterns and we still see in the S a longing for the Lost Cause There is a mythic quality to the civil war and it colors how many, especially in the S see their world

Reconstruction and Mission --much of this era isabout mission--to be a beacon of liberty and justice.

reconstruction (and later)  and tech--this is industrialization in full swing LOTS here

Recon and Cult trad -- I think that reconstruction fundamentally changed NS relations. and shaped S culture

WWI and econ-- WWI shifted econ from from Europe to the US 

WWi and Soc Just -- Look at anti German  response and suppression of civil liberties anti war  protesters

WWI and sectionalism Drafting boys from across the nation and the mvt of blacks N to factories impacted sectionalism 

20's sectionalism there are still profound difference compare reform mvt in upper Midwest with S

20s and SJ-- look at contiuation of JIm crow anti immigration legislation

cold war and econ--military industrial complex;  American dream

Why focus on the Middle E for the last unit I think that the decline of the US economy, the partisan nature of politics, environmental  and other topics are equally if  not more important when looking at the last 20-30 years

hope this helps

This reply was deleted.