Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Reflections on Inquiry-Based Learning

Review two or more of the four handouts:

Dual Inquiry

Stipling Model of Inquiry

Lessons of Powerful Learning (How we learn)

Analyzing Primary Sources Teacher's Guide

If prompts are helpful, here are a few suggestions:

Have you integrated Inquiry Method into your teaching?

Which model do you see as useful to you?

How does an awareness of yourself as a Teacher Learner improve your teaching?

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• After looking at the four different diagrams, only one of them stands out to me.  It is the one called “Analyzing Primary Sources” handout.  This guide made the most sense to me as a learner, which in turn will help me as a teacher.  The three categories of Observe, Reflect, and Question are simple, yet effective.  I found the sample questions listed in each category were thought provoking.  They are an excellent starting point for ANY primary source a teacher uses.  This will be helpful, especially when I first incorporate primary sources in the classroom.  Perhaps the reason it was my favorite document was because we actually did this assignment in class.  This was the one where we looked at the picture and completed a sample Analyzing Primary Sources worksheet. 

I tend to learn best when I am challenged and taught as a LEARNER first and then a TEACHER second.  In order to be a learner, we must have guided practice on these Library of Congress resources.  Just randomly looking at multiple links on a projector is not helping me learn the material.  I need to actually be “down in the trenches” doing and learning it.  A suggestion for future classes is to give us specific assignments like the ones we will give to our students.  Within that assignment/project, getting guidance on one or two resources within LoC will help us focus our attention.  Then we can get another assignment with the purpose of utilizing another few resources from the LoC website.  I cannot speak for others, but for me, this strategy would have helped me as a learner first. 

As more technology is incorporated into our classrooms, we must become savvier with them ourselves.  Yes, students are born into the technology age.  However, our role is to teach them how to utilize all of these resources in a productive, responsible manner.

• This was my first year teaching in the library and in reflecting on this past year, based on Dual Inquiry, I see that I have failed to truly execute lessons that integrate inquiry. I tried to create individual and group projects that have had guidelines for final format and content but I see know that I have not fully evoked 21st century learning because I failed to invoke relevancy, assessment, and reflection for assignments. I see that I have to work on revamping my lessons for next school year so that I can have all 6 components of inquiry for all assignments.

My awareness of myself as a Teacher Learner allows me to be continuously reflecting and evaluating my lessons: my presentation, my expectations, and final outcomes.  If an assignment met my expectations I reflect on how my delivery was different than on those occasions when our class was unable to meet assignment expectations. I continuously evaluate my delivery, students' reactions, and final projects to determine my effectiveness as a teacher. I see that I need to work on including formal/informal reflection and self-evaluation to fully encourage student inquiry. 

• Have you integrated Inquiry Method into your teaching? Yes, I do. I plan many of my lessons where students have guidelines and suggested resources for integrating inquiry projects. Other sources may be added with teacher approval. I have individual projects and group projects. I give general guidelines and use a rubric for grading. For group projects, students fill out an evaluation for themselves and each member of their team.

How does an awareness of yourself as a Teacher Learner improve your teaching? My awareness as a teacher learner improves my lessons by allowing me to continually improve on my teaching methods and adapt new insight to future lessons. It validates the need for student based inquiry and decision making in learning. They learn from the research process, data analysis (primary/secondary), final data selection, and presentation process of other students.

This reply was deleted.