Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Intros and Interests!

7291510658?profile=originalClick the CONTINUE button below to introduce yourself and begin our first discussion. Please include the following information:

Name
School or Teaching Setting
Age Level of Students
Subjects you teach or academic support you provide:

Please read over the following questions and respond to the question or questions that most appeal to your interests. Feel free to add any additional thoughts that come to mind concerning classroom uses of primary sources!

Do you have a specific time period of history or topic area that you are most interested in exploring in this class? If so, please share your interests. (Remember, you don't have to answer all these questions, just read them all, then chose one or more that 'speak' to you.)

Do you have creative teaching practices you wish to share using primary sources?

Are you interested in using primary sources as the main focus of lessons or as supplementary to classroom teaching?

Do you have a classroom preference for a particular type of primary source documents e.g. documents, photography, maps?

Thank you for taking the time to participate in our first discussion. I look forward to seeing you all soon!

Neva Reece

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello, 

My name is Sara Koester and I teach 8th grade at Wendler Middle School. We focus on early American history from contact to the events leading to the Civil War... along with Government/ Civics and Constitution. I like using primary sources, but struggle finding useful sources for early America. I'm hoping this class will help me find collections to introduce to student and let them explore for themselves.

• My name is Paul Brown. I teach 8th. grade American History at Hanshew Middle School. I have also taught 7th. grade geography there. I taught 7th. & 8th. grade for 25 years in the South Bronx of NYC before moving to Alaska. 

My areas of interest is the Revolutionary War period and the Mountain Men era.. I am personally interested in the Civil War and Westward expansion. However, the ASD curriculum does not include those areas:(

I use Primary Sources as both the main focus and as a secondary source. 

• Hi!  I'm Elena Saturnino and I'm a second grade teacher at W. Tyson.  It was my first year teaching 2nd grade.  I was a Kindergarten teacher for 4 years.  The main focus for 2nd grade Social Studies is Anchorage.  I'm hoping to find updated materials to use for my class, such as maps and other visuals.

• Jennifer Mendoza
    Klatt/K
    5-6y/o
    General Ed
    Primary sources will be a great asset to share realia connected with history & cultures as supplementary material.

I would use all these primary sources documents e.g. documents, photography, maps...

• Greetings!  I am Dona Helmer, a K-6 librarian here in Anchorage.  I teach/learn Library/Media Skills and Research skills as well as being an educational midwife at College Gate Elementary School.  In addition to my MLS and an advanced degree in Educational Technology, I have an advanced degree in American Intellectual history.  I am interested  in people and as a result I find the study of history fascinating.  

Right now, I am interested in Technology and Luddites; American Female writers and poets prior to 1900; I am also interested in music and art.

Cheers!!!

• Laura Ann Hulsebus

Alpenglow Elementary

Special Education teacher; Kindy and 6t;  team teach in a fully integrated 6th grade classroom

Periods of History I enjoy are:  Ancient Egypt/Edodus period, Ancient Greece. Civil War Era, Wild Wild West, WWII and the 60's.

I became encouraged as a teacher to use primary sources when as a parent, my son participated in the World Discovery Seminar at Chugiak High School.  That learning style completely fit my son's way of thinking and he flourished.

As a student, I hate history.  I had the same teacher in high school for 4 years and all he did was lecture in a monotone voice going over page after page after a really old history book and gave us tests.  It wasn't until I took a college class on Nazi Germany where the professor taught the class totally with primary sources, that history came alive for me.  I finally had a way to "connect" to the history instead of just being a bunch of names and dates to memorize.

• Name: Dorothy Jacobs
    School: Mountain View Elementary
    Age Level of Students: 5th grade

Do you have a specific time period of history or topic area that you are most interested in exploring in this class?  No specific period, just looking for information to support instruction.

Do you have creative teaching practices you wish to share using primary sources?

Are you interested in using primary sources as the main focus of lessons or as supplementary to classroom teaching? As a supplementary source.

Do you have a classroom preference for a particular type of primary source documents e.g. documents, photography, maps? No.

• Hi, my name is Erin Peterson and I am currently teaching music at College Gate Elementary.  I love incorporating music and social studies, so I am very excited about taking this class and learning more about how I can integrate these two important subjects.  I am interested in learning how to use primary sources in my music room with my K-6 students.  

• Judy Morookian

Grace Christian School

Sixth Grade Language Arts and Social Studies

I enjoy teaching early American history, especially the founding fathers period and the Revolutionary era.  I also spend the spring semester walking my students through the presidents.  I have the privilege of going to Washington DC every summer to spend time with my grandsons.  I thoroughly enjoy digging through the National Archives and would love to find a way to bring this more of this authentic learning into my Alaskan classroom.  I hope to improve my own skills and make this more approachable to my students.

• Hi my name is Derek Brewer and I am a teacher at A. J. Dimond High School.  I currently teach US History, Alaska Studies and Psychology.  I am taking this course because I know the importance of primary documents and the power it can have in learning.  I enjoy teaching the Progressive period and the World Wars because I have a collection of materials that I share with my students.  I have a “treasure box” of magazines, newspapers and treasures that I have collected over the years and the kids love how it places them back in time.

This reply was deleted.