Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

FInal Class Reflections

This is your reflection so you can reply as you wish.

If you kept a journal, you can share from those thoughts if you wish - or consider and address any or all of the following:

Time to process information

TIme to apply new information

Was their new information that you will continue to use

Thank you for enrolling in this class. I hope that the work we did here will serve you and your students long into the future.

Neva

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My reflection of Teaching with Primary Sources is that the Library of Congress is an excellent resource. Learning to navigate it requires practice and patience. I especially liked that I could save recourses to my LOC account. I will use the LOC again. I loved how the ARS sheet is set up. It makes it easy to plan resources for students to access, or resource for the teacher to access for supplementary documents for any history lesson. I am looking forward to seeing the finished lesson plans of other members. I enjoyed being able to work with other team members and discuss information locations, topics, and how to access the materials. Knowing how to find and site the permanent URL was very useful. I found the tutorial on copyright interesting and helpful. I could have used more time to process the information the first morning. I do understand how to apply the information

The articles we read were useful in explaining how to think historically and critically and the rule of the dual learner. I liked how they explained the difference in primary and secondary sources. Especially if a secondary sources is linked to a primary source.

• My purpose for taking this class is threefold: 1) to help my young children develop a deeper understanding of history, 2) to be able to better use primary resources in the classroom and 3) for my own personal interest.  The Library of Congress is an amazing resource!  Until seeing this course offering in the ASDSA catalogue, I didn’t realize that many of the LoC resources are accessible online.  I know I have barely scratched the surface.  I am grateful to have seen the copyright tutorial.  I did go through the Introduction to the Library of Congress tutorial.  What a treasure trove!  I particularly plan on returning to the ”especially for teachers” and “kids and families”.  I will also revisit the THOMAS legislative information site on the LoC.

The class could be somewhat frustrating.  When I had a syllabus I was better able to organize the course information.  Working on the Internet can be inherently frustrating “How did you get to that site?” or specifically,“ How do you find permanent URLs?”  Problem solving in small group settings was more fruitful than working through glitches as a class.  I appreciated Neva’s willingness to contact the LoC and ANUAH by phone and email to answer some of our questions.  The class readings on primary sources and thinking historically were beneficial.  

I look forward to using the Library of Congress primary resources in a homeschool setting.  My children will be very excited especially because my home is largely media free (no T.V. for example).   The digital resources available at the Library of Congress will help our learning be more engaging and meaningful.

Karin Owens

This reply was deleted.