Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Please take a moment to reply to this message by telling us a little about yourself. Things like where you teach or what level, what brought you to Alaska, what you do for fun or your big plans for the summer, and what you hope to get out of this course are helpful in getting to know you during our brief time together. 

To do this - Click on the "Reply to this" link right above the text box, type your introduction, then hit the "Add Reply" button below the box. Please don't start a new discussion thread for this or write on the Comment Wall.

Please also make sure you have a photo in your profile. 

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My name is Karin Owens and I have taught for fourteen years at different grade levels in a variety of settings, from Sand Lake Elementary to Tok, AK.  I was born in Anchorage and plan on staying.  I am no longer in the classroom and am taking this course to maintain my certification.  My home is very busy; I have five children five and under.  This course will be a "vacation" of sorts and a nice change of pace.  I look forward to meeting all of you!

• Hi, my name is Natalie Moten.  I teach Geography at Clark Middle School.  I'm a transplant for Pittsburgh, Pa.  My plan was for 2 years and this year I got my 10 year pin for ASD----where did the time go.  I'm  currently working on my National Board Certification, I hope this class will help me prepare for the final assessment.  See everyone soon in class.

• Hello, this is Robert warren from eagle River High School.  This year I teach AK Studies, US Government and US History.  I have been in the district 22 years 7 at elementary, the rest at High School.  I was interested in the title of this course as I begin my US History with the theme The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.  I'm sure this class will be only The Good stuff.  I enjoy traveling in summer and dip netting on the Kenai.  I look forward to the class. See you all soon.

• I have been teaching secondary social studies with ASD for 12 years, the past eight years at Service High School. I currently teach 10th grade U.S. History and Economics for 11th & 12th grade students. I came to Alaska 41 years ago because I was an Army brat ;0) and up until these past two winters, I could never imagine leaving Alaska. My summer will be full with visiting granchildren, fishing, and taking a Praxis II test to HQ in Government. I'm not really sure what I hope to get out of the class, but it sounded interesting.

• Hi,

My name is Lydia Lantz and I teach English at Bartlett High School. I teach grades 10-12 various English subjects and have been teaching there for 4 years now. I am from Colorado and moved here because I love the mountains and every sport associated with them. This summer I will be spending time rafting various rivers in AK and will be backpacking Kauai for the month of July. I am taking this class because I am interested in the US government and everything associated with it past and present.

• Hi all! My name is Mara Kimmel and along with Kimberly Pace, will be your guide for this Supreme Court adventure!  I just sent out a rather lengthy email explaining our approach and would love to confirm that you all received the note.  Please let me know!

All best,

Mara

• I'm Jimmie Petrash - 7th grade Geography Teacher from Hanshew Middle School. I've been teaching here is ASD since 1994, and I will continue teaching until my three kids are out of school (11 more years!). I came to Alaska when my wife, Denise, was hired by ARCO back in 1991, and we have hung around through thick and thin. The summer will bring a time for camping with the kids, set-netting, and exploring the beaches at the low-low tides around Seldovia. I am truly looking forward to the summer! I recently took a class taught by you and your partner - a Constitution class in 2012. Great class! Why this class? I am looking forward to adding to my annual Constitution Unit every Fall. I am a Constitution nerd, so I look forward to learning all about the good, the bad, and the ugly concerning the Supreme Court.

• Hi, My name is Marina Hunter. I am a 5th grade teacher at Turnagain Elementary.
    When I am not teaching, I like to run, hike or read.

• I'm Karen Toohey and currently I teach all grades K-6... all subjects at the same time in one tiny room packed with 14 students!  I moved to Alaska from California when I was 13 and graduated from East High School.  I like to hike and ski for fun.  I have camping trips planned for the summer. I'm just looking forward to learning all that I can from the class.

• Hello, My name is Todd Heuston.  I teach AP United States Government at South Anchorage High School.  I am an Alaskan, born and raised, and a product of the Anchorage School District.  I have been involved in civic education and law-related education for the last 13 years in Alaska.  We participate every year in the annual We The People simulated congressional hearings, and we spend a great deal of time looking at SCOTUS decisions.  I enjoy reading for fun, and traveling.  After this class I will be chaperoning a group of kids to France for 10 days, and upon returning, I plan on having the greatest "Stay-cation" in human history.

I look forward to getting new insights into landmark decisions, and engaging in great discussions with my colleagues.

This reply was deleted.