Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• Hi my name is John Jessen I teach World History in our 9th Grade Academy at Bartlett HS.  I also have taught summer school in ASD since 2004.  Currently I am the ischool coach at Bartlett HS & also am a tutor at the 21st Century Program at Muldoon Elementary.  I was the Head Football Coach at Bartlett HS from 1996-2011.  I've coach in Alaska since 1988.  Currently I am the Head Freshman Football Coach @ Bartlett.

I have two kids age 21 & 20.  In March they will be 22 & 21.  Both work fulltime and go to school fulltime and won the Alaska Scholarship for top 10%.

• Hello, my name is Sarah Albert and I am a Counselor at Lathrop High School in Fairbanks. I work with students grades 10-12. Lathrop is a very diverse school with a large "inner city" population of students, a large Military population, different socioeconomic groups, etc.  I am a product of Lathrop as were my parents and my grandma was actually a counselor there as well. It really is a wonderful school with excellent programs on all levels.

I signed up for this class as I find myself in the situation of helping students with homework frequently, co-teaching with teachers on various subjects, etc. Glad to be here!

• Hello All,

I am Amelia Savinova and this year I am teaching 2nd and 3rd grade English Language Arts at Ayagina'ar Elitnaurvik in Kongiganak, Alaska.  I was raised in Alaska and I have lived in rural Alaska (Nome, Bethel area and Kodiak Island)  since I graduated from UAF though I still consider Fairbanks my hometown. 

I realized that finding primary sources is not easy while taking the Music and Dance course last November.  I knew then that I wanted to learn more about researching the archives so here I am! 

• Hello, my name is Lem Wheeles. I teach social studies (Honors US History, US Government, AP Government (both US and Comparative), and Student Government) at A.J. Dimond High School. I also teach US Government online for ASD iSchool. I have a BA in Political Science and an MA in Teaching with an endorsement in Secondary Social Studies. I am the sponsor for the Model United Nations club at Dimond and I coached a competitive We the People team for 7 years before funding was cut for the program. My subject area of passion is the Constitution, especially with regard to the Philadelphia Convention. I'm looking forward to learning how to use NARA resources to further my understanding of that critical period of our history and to continue to bring it to life for my students.

On a more personal note, I am a product of the Anchorage School District and I am proud to teach at the school where my parents, my siblings, my wife, and I all graduated from. I have two daughters (ages 4 and 7) who hope to someday be Lynx but for now settle for being junior cheerleaders at Dimond hockey games.

• Hello! My name is Dallas Price. I teach 6th grade in the Anchorage School District.  My current teaching assignment is with our district's highly gifted program, but I've also taught 5th and 6th grade in neighborhood classrooms. I've always been interested in everything, so before teaching I worked in quite a few different jobs - roe packing to scenic artist - and I spent quite a while with the airlines. I live in Anchorage with my husband, son, and two dogs. I have a B.Ed in Elementary Education and an M.Ed in Educational Technology. 

I started getting really interested in primary source documents when my class began creating documentaries for National History Day.  Documentary storytelling from our class in Anchorage necessitates finding digital versions of primary sources. I have used some of the resources at the National Archives site, but I have many questions. I had a chance to visit the National Archives map room last summer, and I know there are many things to find that I'm not good at finding yet. I'm looking forward to learning a lot during this class! 

• Hello,  I am currently teaching high school social studies and science in Kipnuk.  I taught language arts for the last three years here, but shifted to these new areas to make it possible for my wife to teach here as well.  I love working with the same students year after year, and watching them grow into adults when they leave us.  This year's seniors started their high school careers at CPMS the same year I did, so reflecting on their growth over the last four years is really neat.

One area I wish I did more of for this group is using primary sources to help understand history.  I love researching, and have used archives to find primary sources for my own school work on a number of occasions, but haven't found good ways to incorporate it into a classroom where most of my students are struggling readers.  I'm looking forward to getting a better handle on what is available, so I can better apply primary sources to my classroom on a more frequent basis.

• I am currently teaching US History and World History at Mat-Su Career and Technical High School.  Before they shut down our school library I was the librarian for most of the periods and only a couple of World History.  I started my teaching career out on Adak where I was for 9 years teaching computer classes mainly.

With my MLS in Library Science and other teaching endorsements I would like to know more about the Archives for primary sources for my social studies classes and what students could use.

• Hello. I'm Stephanie Campbell, the ANUAH grant coordinator. (For a few more months at least!)

I've worked for the Anchorage School District since beginning my teaching career 17 years ago. Prior to that I worked in the private sector. My career travels with ASD have taken me off the beaten path and I ended up being part of the starting team at Highland Tech High charter school and then also starting and being Assistant Principal at the Rilke Schule charter school. Last year I came to the social studies department as the grant coordinator, and with the demise of the grant, am anxious to get back into a school.

I have a Bachelor's in Elementary Education with a minor in World History and a Master's in Educational Leadership. I hope to begin work next fall for my Doctoral degree in Comparative and International Education. 

This year I became a Library of Congress digital collection trainer, but have showcased both collections in courses I've taught. I think they both are wonderful resources, but have different strengths. I look forward to learning exactly what NARA has to offer and how to navigate it more easily. 

• First, I will tell you a tiny bit about myself.  I have been with the National Archives as an educator for the past 8 years here in Seattle.  In this position, I have learned SO MUCH about primary sources:  how to find them, how to use them in the classroom, in research, and in writing of all kinds.  In the process, I have met so many wonderful people who are curious about the world and the people in it.  This is a wonderful place to be!

Prior to coming here, I was a Middle School teacher, writer, publisher, Native American bookstore owner, antiques dealer, and perpetual student.  I hold a BA in Elementary Education and an MA in American Indian Studies.  The records of Native peoples hold a particularly fond place in my heart, but working here has taught me to love ALL aspects of history.  I did not learn this in school.  I know that schools today are heading in a new direction ... stressing the importance of primary sources and critical analysis.  I am solidly behind this movement and looking forward to every new direction this quest takes us!

I am so looking forward helping you understand these unusual instutitions called "archives" and the records they hold.

This reply was deleted.