Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Lesson 4 Discussion

A couple of documents to transcribe.  You only need to work on ONE of them, but they are both interesting and both related to one another.  Here are the citations

#1 - Item: Handwritten Draft of Ronald Reagan Letter to Mrs. William Loeb, Regarding the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, ca. 02/02/1986 (www.archives.gov, ID#198441), Series: White House Office of Records Management Subject File, 01/20/1981 - 01/20 1989, Collection RR-WHORM: White House Office of Records Management File Systems (White House Central Files) 01/20/1981-10/20/1989,  Ronald Reagan Library, Simi Valley, California.

#2 - Item: Handwritten Draft of Letter from Ronald Reagan to Dr. John A. Howard, Regarding the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, ca. 02/04/1986 (www.archives.gov, ID#198444), Series: White House Office of Records Management Subject File, 01/20/1981 - 01/20 1989, Collection RR-WHORM: White House Office of Records Management File Systems (White House Central Files) 01/20/1981-10/20/1989,  Ronald Reagan Library, Simi Valley, California.

Note:  You will notice these records come from a "collection" instead of a Record Group.  This is because the Presidential libraries (like most libraries, historical societies, and museums across the country) COLLECT records rather than receiving them from a government agency (Record Group) on a regular, pre-determined basis. 

I found these records online so there are references to an online ID number as well.

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My top learning style is logical-mathematical, which is consistent with what I have seen on other such assessments. I would have students with this learning style create an outline or flow chart of the primary source document to help unpack the content within it. For example, in working with Federalist 10 they would start with the overall organization of the document (identify a problem, identify causes and effects, postulate preventative measures, determine those are not solutions, postulate correction to effects, determine which is a solution to the original problem) then add supporting details throughout the outline.

• The learning styles quiz was interesting. I was equally strong in linguistic, visual-spacial and interpersonal. Given my long-time love of maps (visual-spacial), it’s no surprise that I like telling (interpersonal) people where to go and will tell them in great detail (linguistic) how to get there. I mean that in the most fun sense in terms of describing mountain biking trails and what makes each one enjoyable. I’ve always thought I am good at giving directions, though I’ve learned that not everyone receives them in the same way. I often fall into this category as well. If somebody tells me the directions to their house, I almost always look it up on Google Maps. If I have a visual, I can usually find it from memory. So it’s important to both 1) write it, and 2) draw it. I guess this demonstrates the importance of knowing the audience so that I can convey the information in the best possible modes.

Given that I'm not a conventional educator, I tried to think of how students could work together using maps. If I were looking at an old map, I might invite a group to describe what they see or what they might expect to see based on topographic lines, rivers, shores, marshes and trail markings. I’d ask them to describe what it might be like to travel in such a place. What mode of transport would be best for a given time of year. Maybe what time of year would be best for travel. Find out where it would be best to build houses, roads, docks, etc., and why. For older students, I'd have them consider global climate issues and previous disasters ('64 quake). I might ask them to draw what the place might look like based on the discussion. In this way, I’d be facilitating the discussion while encouraging them use their imaginations to think creatively, problem-solve and think about adventures.

• Hi folks,

I enjoyed checking out my learning style.  Going to read more into it.  If I knew the aspects before I would have easily guessed the top four, but not in order.  I had Interpersonal 88%, Intrapersonal 81%, Linguistic & Bodily-Kinesthetic, both 67%.  It all makes sense to me.

I also enjoyed the transcribing exercise and even took the time to google JohnA. Howard.  He was a pretty interesting guy, with a very impressive resume.  I feel like I have to transcribe mentally all of my 9th graders written work.  Once, they show me a couple tricks I can do it easily.

• Better copies of the Challenger letters from President Ronald Reagan.  Sorry about the earlier ones.  I have also attached a couple of pdf copies with the citations included in case you would like to use these in class.  Carol

Handwritten Draft of Ronald Reagan Letter to Mrs. William Loeb, Regarding the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, ca. 02/02/1986

Handwritten Draft of Letter from Ronald Reagan to Dr. John A. Howard, Regarding the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, ca. 02/04/1986

Reagan to Dr Howard.pdf

Reagan to Mrs Loeb.pdf

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7314563066?profile=original
  • My learning style shows I'm interpersonal, which I would agree with 100%.  One lesson I just did recently  (I think it is stolen from Kagan) that would work great would be to have students find and learn about any primary source of their choice. Then, have a piece of paper with 3 sections: 1. Cite the primary source 2. Describe what it is 3. State why you chose it. You can then have them fold the paper into the threes and tape or glue it together as a tent. Then, have the class get up and walk around with their tents, when the teacher says stop, they then share their tent with whomever they are next to. You do this several times so they can hear about what other students researched.  For the interpersonal learner they would be motivated by the sharing and listening to others. I would hope the movement of walking around and making the tent would also encourage the more kinesthetic learner.

• Also, I am going to use my own Learning Style to illustrate what I mean about applying my own learning style to research, analysis, or using a primary source document.

I got the exact same score  (88%) on two learning styles (interpersonal and intrapersonal), closely followed by one other (75%) (linguistic).  I do best by being in a group, usually as the leader or spokesman, but also have a great need to have "thinking time" by myself. 

Using primary sources, I might start out in a group discussion to plan a project, then work on my own to find appropriate documents and see how they might relate to one another.  I would then want to have a group meeting to look for and talk about details in the document and for putting the project together.  So I would do best with a combination of group work and individual research.

This reply was deleted.