Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Day 3 Morning Review

We covered the 1800s - Westward Expansion and Pioneer Era.  We danced "Jump Jim Joe", "Lucky Seven" and the "Turkey Dance".  We looked at "Home on the Range" and listened to "Maple Leaf Rag".  Our media examples were "Obituary of the Pioneer Woman" and "Native American Chiefs".  Whew!  We were busy!  Please reflect on this morning and this era of history.

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have used "Jump Jim Joe" several times within my classroom and the kids really enjoyed it.  It is a great dance for the younger ages.  The motions are easy and anyone can do them.  I have not used, "Lucky Seven" before and I plan on teaching it to my class next year.  It seems like a goofy dance that the kids will enjoy.

I enjoyed the teaching process with the Native American Chief activity.  It was a great way to gain collective knowledge from the entire class.  Even if a student has no clue (like me) they walk away knowing all the information.  You also learn who the smart kids are in the class so you know who to work with on homework in the future.   

• I could see myself using the "Lucky Seven" dance with my class.  I think that this would be a fun activity to teach my students about the society during the westward expansion era.  I'm not sure I could get my 5/6 graders to do the turkey dance.  They may be too cool for that.

I think that students would find it interesting that "Home on the Range" has many more verses than they may know.  It also provides a lot of great visual imagery of how people viewed the new land.

I really liked the Native American Chiefs activity.  I could see myself using this idea in a wide range of situations in my social studies instruction.  It helps activate that prior knowledge and encourages students to listen and be open to other's ideas.  It also allows students to recognize that they can be wrong.  

• I am so going to do a Hootenany next year. I know the music and P.E. teacher will teach the kids some of the songs and dances and I can fill in the rest. I might have some interested students lead some of the dances. In fact, I might be able to do this through an Exploration class. Maybe the 5/6 students could host the Hootenanny for the rest of the school.

I will get two different emigrant primary sources and have students compare and contrast them. I liked Elizabeth's idea of having students draw what they think the person looks like. I will also do the Native chief activity and may try it with Civil War leaders and/or composers or visual artists.

This reply was deleted.