Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

So many great ideas, only one lesson plan to write. Sometimes the kernel of an idea will spark a flame in someone else's mind. Please jot down a couple of ideas you have for integrating what you learned in this course into your classroom. 

For example

Math class- scale mode drawing of an imaginary field trip that begins in Google Earth

Reading - Around the World in 80 days. Plotting points on the map as we read. Tie-in with math - calculating the distance traveled each leg. 

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ANUAH Geospatial Technology Integration Plan

Bret Clark

November 2011

Introduction/Summary:      

Students, during their study of the Revolutionary War will complete both individualized research projects and group projects around important battles and events, historical people and historical locations and complete both one placemark location and a multi-destination tour as the presentation mode for all research completed.  Students, in their developed placemark location, will demonstrate both the knowledge gained from their research as well as their proficiency in using Google Earth.  Students, in their group tour, will demonstrate their knowledge of the "beginning, middle and end" of significant Revolutionary War happenings as well as their proficiency in using Google Earth.

Google Earth Skills Demonstrated:

The following Google Earth programming skills will be demonstrated by students completing the project:  creating a placemark balloon, text editing within a placemark balloon, embedding a photo, embedding a video, audio tours, creating an image overlay, paths, simple tours, saving/exporting .kmz, sharing and presenting with Google Earth as showcased technology presentation tool

Project Flow:

1.  After completing individualized research, students will digitally present their findings within a placemark balloon.

2. Each individual project will be turned in for use by Mr. Clark for class and team-wide review and instruction about the Revolutionary War. 

3.  Students are assigned a "Revolutionary War Story Event" and a group to work with.  Students complete a "storyboard" demonstrating their knowledge of the "beginning, middle and end" for the event that they are assigned.  Students will digitize their storyboard, each of the three group members developing the beginning, middle or end part of the event presentation using the Touring features within Google Earth.

4.  Using a smartboard and all members of the group, students will present their event to the class.

Topics of Study:  People, places, battles and events

People                         George Washington                             Benjamin Franklin

John Adams                                        John Hancock

John Paul Jones                                  Patrick Henry

Samuel Adams                                    Paul Revere

Thomas Jefferson                               Benedict Arnold

Thomas Paine                                     Marquis de Lafeytte

Lord Cornwallis                                  Von Steuben

Nathanael Greene                                Abigail Adams

Benjamin Rush                                    Signers of Declaration

Places              Independence Hall                              Mount Vernon

Boston                                                            Lexington and Concord

Valley Forge                                        Cities and towns of the Colonies

Events             Stamp Act                                           Sugar Act 

Boston Masacre                                  Boston Tea Party

Sign Declaration of Independence       The First Continental Congress

The Second Continental Congress      Treaty of Paris 

Battles             Lexington and Concord                       Battle of Bunker Hill

Battles of Saratoga                              Battle of Yorktown

Battle of Quebec                                 Battle of Trenton

Battle of Brandywine                         Capture of Savannah

Siege of Charlestown                          Battle of Camden

Battle of King's Mountain                  Battle of Cowpens

Battle of Guiford Courthouse             Capture of the Serapis

Project Accents Completed By Teacher:

Using the Google Earth function, image overlay, the teacher will prepare "project accents" including overlays of historical and battle maps, battlefield sketches, maps from the textbook, and architectural maps.  These overlays may or may not be made available to individual students, but will be showcased through teacher presentations that integrate student projects in Google Earth.

• Vincent Fast and Ken Varee

Our

Integration Plan

I plan to share what I have learned with my colleagues. I also plan to use the technology on my 2012 intensive to Canada. My plan is to create an intensive that I led to the McCarthy area a couple of years ago and imbed some text and pictures and some “fly to” items to highlight the trip. Then I will present this at a staff meeting along with Ken and the work he is doing for the intensive he led to Utah. For the 2012 trip to Canada I plan to have kids put one together, embedded with video, text, and photos.

The purpose of this as I see it is twofold. Over the many years I have been working at Steller the competition for students has become greater. When I started here there were very few alternatives for students and how they received their education. Now there are many outlets. School-within-a-school options are growing in the district when East High had been the only model; the seminar programs are also growing in the district and all the charter schools. I see this platform as a way to highlight some of the things that make Steller unique. One of those is the Intensive. Granted we are not the only school that has intensives, but I still see it as a factor that sets our school apart from many others and believe that this platform would give kids a creative way of showing what happened on their intensive to others. The other reason I want to do this is to open up this technology to my colleagues and students to get a wider group of people using it as a platform for some of their projects.

There are some difficulties I foresee in accomplishing the task of integrating this into the intensive for we will be busy with many other activities, and that is building in enough time to prepare students to be able to perform the task. I will have to look for ways to prepare the students either on my own time or in some kind of after-school program designed to give them enough practice with the technology to put together a good presentation. The sooner I can identify the group of kids that will be joining me for this great adventure, the better my chances are. I am putting out feelers now to locate my group. That way I can start working this year on some of them to bring them along.

I also have Ken to help me. I am sure that he will be able to use the technology in his social studies and history classes and if he gets the kids on to some of this it should spill over into what I have planned.

I (Ken) am planning to use the program to promote my high desert intensive to southeastern Utah. I have put together a tour of a three-day hike through Grand Gulch and Bullet Canyon featuring photographs of features from a previous trip as a way of promoting my next trip and as a way of introducing to our staff an alternative means for staff to integrate the technology in to their own intensives and curriculum. We have presentation days at Steller on which students present a visual summary on their intensives and I plan to get a small group of interested students involved learning the technology and then creating a presentation for this day. My guess is that when other students see the possibilities for their other classes, we may have to create an elective class to serve the demand. This could also open up an opportunity for a peer-taught class that would be taught by a student(s) with instructor supervision. We encourage Steller students to attempt one of these during their time here.

As Troy indicated above, time is always an issue when introducing new technologies, but I believe I can take advantage of our Self-directed Learning Program to have individual students learn the intricacies of Google Earth and be able to teach it to other teachers and staff. In this way, I believe we can roll this technology out in a manner that will have the best impact. In my experience, when the students learn how to do it, they are more than willing to teach other students as well.

We hope that we have been clear on our plans and for further clarification we would be happy to send you our Google Earth presentation on the McCarthy and Utah trips.

• This ANUAH Geospatial History course has been a great opportunity to consolidate and refocus my thinking on how to integrate geography, geospatial tools and geographical analysis into my thinking on how to teach American and World history.  Exposure to a number of online resources, for local, state, national and global analysis, has made me keenly aware of how easy it is (technically) to incorporate these tools into one’s teaching.  The trick is to find a way to move educator mind-sets toward a project-based learning orientation, where the bugaboo of “coverage” becomes less important than the instilling of analytical processes within the context of content knowledge.

As an EdTech Coach, no longer working in a regular classroom setting, integrating the tools and skills explored in this class present a unique set of opportunities and challenges.  While I can’t just integrate the ideas I’ve learned in my classroom (because I have none), I can work with other educators in ASD to integrate some of these ideas in their classrooms.  Here’s how I’m planning on doing this:

• For each of the middle school social studies curricula, I will target one unit in the 3rd or 4th quarter that is well suited to adding a Google Earth component.
    • Either alone or with a small group of MS-SS teachers, I will design a geo-infused SS project (for each curricula) that stays in sync with the pacing guide for that course.  (Perhaps ANUAH could be induced to fund “study/work groups” to generate these units??)
    • These units will then be advertised cross-district as “network distributed” projects, where teachers and classrooms from across ASD all participate and (possibly) contribute to an aggregated end product.
    • For students this will be dynamic 21st C. project-based learning, with an opportunity to learn and share with peers beyond their normal class, around the district.
    • For teachers this will be a “just add water” curriculum unit, that meets the pacing and learning objectives of their curriculum guide, and helps them introduce the use of Google Earth into their teaching.  This “geo-infused” project would be implemented in each teacher’s own classroom, but I (and possibly other EdTech personnel, if the project grew large) would support that implementation, so that they didn’t have to learn to do this alone.  In other words, there would be a strong coaching and P-D element to this project for all participating teachers.
    • An ASD Moodle site would be built to organize and distribute these geo-infused projects, and to connect students involved in this project district-wide.  If the final learning products were chosen well, results of student work could accumulate and be viewable from this site, as well.

I think that this project might not only be a good follow-up for ANUAH’s geographic infusion goal, but also serve as a model ASD-SS-EdTech collaboration project.  I will continue to report developments for this project on both the AGA and ANUAH ning sites...

Geography Content Integration Plan.docx

This reply was deleted.