Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

•  

Instruction on navigating the LOC website with tips on finding information was very helpful.  I enjoyed the variety of "hands on" activities which encouraged group participation and discussion--from lessons done previously in the classsroom by the course instructors.  Learning the difference between primary and secondary sources and the various types of primary sources available on the LOC website was useful.

I like the methods used in the activities that promote interest and encourage students to observe, inquire, analyze and summarize using primary source materials.  An activity I would find useful on an elementary level would be distributing prints/photos of the same to all students and asking them to compare to modern day life.

I am looking forward to more practice on the LOC website and learning about the NARA and its resources.

• 1. Today, I have enjoyed using the LOC. The instructors are easy going and pace the class appropriately. The instructors are giving us generous amounts of time to explore the new sites. I am enjoying the learning activities. The activities not only give us a chance to walk around the room, but allow time to think and process the activity, and how it could be used in the classroom.

2. Yes, I can use the activities for my class. I am jotting down notes and plan to use the activities next year. I like the sticky note with chart paper activities. It gives students a chance to think, explore, and discuss as a group. The activity is great for auditory learners, visual learners, and kinesthetic learners along with those who need time to process.

3. More tools, ideas, and what is on the LOC; secrets and all!

• Today was a mixed bag.  I enjoyed the exposure to another potential tool for teaching.  I do see potential with the LOC site but found it to be not the most user friendly and-to put it mildly-frustrating trying to find material for my ARS project.  I did appreciate the variety of different modes (recordings, photos etc.) available and will have to set aside some time to become more familiar with the site.

The maps would be great for my geography class and my  U.S. class.  The activity we did with putting the map together was both fun and informative.

I'd like to continue to see the different parts of this site and get some time to tinker with it.  :)

• 1. I liked the activity where we analyzed the photo. It made me have to think about what I was observing. I like the map activity too.

2. I will use the analyze the photo and sound recordings. I find that students like to listen to someone else talking other than me. :-)

3. Any shortcuts we can take to get to make it easier to find info.

• 1. I liked having the time to explore the LOC website again, and it's improved the way it allows users to access the documents. It was helpful to have instruction on the various categories, and the ning was easy to use for access to the ARS form.

2. There are plenty of adaptations to the 8th grade curriculum, especially with the Constitution and civics. Last year I used it with LA and ballads, setting up links for the students to use for versions of "John Henry". I can see using pictures, documents, manuscripts, and maps to bring history alive for the students.

3. Work time and time to further explore the site, learning how to dig through and find resources.

• 1. Being a novice to the LOC I really enjoyed taking a walk through the website and taking time to explore what it has to offer. There is so much content!

2. Using pictures, maps, and voice recording are an aspect of LOC that I would like to bring into my lesson plans. The ARS is a great way to catalog resources and makes it easy to access in future units. Thanks for the templet!

3. Practice, practice, practice. I feel that finding content take more time that I thought. Now that I have an idea of the overall content of the LOC, I would love to have time to delve in more.

• 1. I really liked the time to search and the two instructors leading us through what they knew and how to apply.   I have used the LOC website in the past, but primarily with a just a picture to stem discussion.  I really like how the ARS can be used to actually put together a unit of study.  I feel more confident in searching for what I am looking for.

2. I stumbled upon a good map from the late 1800s and the gold/coal fields in AK at this time.  From here I think I can develop several Gold Rush/Mapping/Historical Studies activities for 2nd - 6th Graders.  My plan is to look at what brought people to AK and how this has changed/developed over time.  For younger students we can just look at the Gold Rush, for older students we can look at a variety of political maps over time, and the 6th graders can compare/contrast mining & using resources in the past and today's controversies/uses.

3.  I would like to see some finished ARS studies, maybe an example.  For me I want to study everything! I know I need to probably narrow my focus and simplify.

• I appreciate the depth and degree of examination of various resources available on the Library on Congress website. I also liked that we looked at the different ways of exploring aspects of the website, and the hints of how to go about conducting searches. I thought it useful that we were encouraged to explore multiple aspects of the LoC website. Due to where I work, I might not be using video, for example, but I still appreciate knowing that it is available on the site.

In my classroom I do a lot of combining of social studies and language arts where I can, as it is a short-term program to get people their high school equivalency. I think there could be value in combining social studies and language arts topics. I am considering looking at several prominent poets that we use, and then looking at their lives. We practice analysis of visual literacy for social studies, which includes reviewing historical photos and cartoons.

What would be useful to me is learning how to use the cartoon section. I see use in that for having my student practice analysis of historical and editorial cartoons.

Kate Lawton

• I liked all of the activities that were demonstrated using the primary sources.  Often I locate great resources but am unsure of new ways to use them.  I think that I can use some of those activities in my classroom.  I liked the map activity.  I could see that being very useful in many applications not only with maps but also with pictures.  I also liked all of the sticky note activities.  It will get the kids up and moving as well as engaging in the content.

I also found the exploration time on the LOC website useful.  It is one thing to get taught something but until you really use it, the information doesn't mean much.  The website can be a bit cumbersome and supply either too much or too little information.  To use effectively, it will require a lot of time to determine what is useful.

I would like to see more applications for using the documents on the LOC in my classroom and ways that they have been used in others classes.   

• Reflection Paper

1.  What did you like about today's activities and searches on the LOC?

The introduction to using the LOC for research was terrific.  As a historian, the resources that the LOC provides are invaluable.

2.  What could you use in your classroom or how could you adopt something you did for use in you classroom?

The ability to demonstrate primary sources for students as well as provide them with the resources for their own research.

3.  MONDAY ONLY - What would you like to see tomorrow?

More of the same....minus the lady in the back talking loudly   ;)

This reply was deleted.