Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Webinar #1: Migrations- Discussion Questions

Read your copy of Alaska Native Cultures and Issues.

Respond to the following 3 questions:

• Which themes were highlighted in the Migrations lecture?
  • Which articles surprised you and why?
  • Finally, how might you utilize this information in the classroom?

(Here is an Interactive Recording of this webinar for those who missed it, or want to review)

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• (ahahaha. I have been waiting to get these books in the mail and just randomly found them on my desk two days ago! Uh oh! :-P)
    • One of the many themes that was highlighted in both the Migrations lecture and Alaska Native Cultures and Issues is the relationship of land, resources, and culture. I find it absolutely fascinating because of recent issues in Alaska. I will touch on this later.  Throughout Alaskan history, we see that the land is a pushing and pulling force that leads to substantial growth and change for both natives and "interlopers."  The wealth of Alaska's lands  and resources have shaped its history through the many migrations that Alaska has went through. It is so deep seeded in the development of civilization in Alaska that "Alaska Native peoples understand that they would not exist as peoples, communities, and cultures without them" (33).  Equally, Alaskan Natives had a relationship with the land and resources that left little for wanting but left little waste and destruction. Respect for land and resource is a tradition that I have heard about many times in my adventures in rural Alaska. It is common in many Yupik stories, lessons, and even on hunting trips with native colleagues. The fact that Alaskan Natives were able to care for the land that cared for them is something that is important for students to learn about.  The use of land, climate, and resources is something that is universal to all social studies. In this being true, I am constantly trying to highlight for my students how human and environment interact upon one another equally. Both interact with the other for the better or for the worse and it is my job to steer my students in a way that will make them thankful for the land around them and also lead them toward choosing the decisions that will best suit the needs of themselves and their community.

Another theme that I find fascinating both in the lecture and the book is the diversity of Alaska. The different ecosystems and environments that Alaska offers leads to not just one source of development in Alaska, but multiple. I am sure that everyone has heard the infamous question, "How many days of night do you have?"  Living in the southwest of Alaska, I do not have any "days of night" but there are places in Alaska that do further north. The diversity of Alaska is an important topic and theme that I had a pleasure of reading and hearing about. It is also something that I will continue to research and hopefully witness in my years as an educator and as an Alaskan. 

• I would not say that the article surprised me, but it certainly impacted me as an educator so I wish to highlight it. The series of responses to "Do some Native corporations support drilling, mining, and logging on their land" really helped me understand the differing mindsets of Alaskan natives when it comes to land use. The fact that this is such a complicated question with no truly universal answer is to be expected but also can be very interesting to discuss. In today's world, we see salmon populations being endangered by fracking and other mining processes. We see climate change altering the means of gathering timber and the side effects of the destruction of timber. As Larry Merculieff stated, "Hunters, fishers, and gatherers develop an intimate relationship with the land and waters" (44). Reading about the clashing interests of remaining positive stewardship of the land around us while also wanting to earn a profit for corporation shareholders was rather strong and interesting. This also brings into question how non-share holders of a corporation may have different interests than a share holder. 

To me, this article is so meaningful because I see my students' futures in the authors' perspectives. I see the interests of cultural and traditional ways clashing with the need to make a profit for corporation shareholders. On each side, my students can lose and can win. In my opinion it is a gentle balance between the two and I am glad to see that different perspectives are able to be put into writing so that the debate can continue. In the end, educated choices will determine the future of Alaska just as the choices of migrant folk had shaped it years before. 

It has always been my perspective that my job was to teach students how to be an opinionated and informed citizen more than to just teach the content area. Both my observations about the themes of our lecture as well as the article lead me to really look forward to teaching Alaska Studies to my high school students in the future. 

As I stated before, we see the salmon becoming endangered and sickened by overfishing and drilling. There have been heated debates in and around the village I teach in about what should be allowed under subsistence fishing and whether regulations should be placed on fishing when it comes to native fishermen.  

Ideally, I would like to use all of this information to lead to one final question/project at the end of my Alaska Studies. "Where should we go from here?" Using the information I have gathered, I can point to my students how Alaska Natives had found a decent harmony with the land in the past, rarely overreaching the limits on specific resources in a location. I can then point to the changes that have occurred over the years and how Alaska Natives have changed their relationship with the land over time.  In the end, it will be up to my students to decide (both on paper and in life) where Alaska should go and where Alaska Natives in our local area should interact with the land, resources, and environment. 

• Accidental reply. 

One consistently occurring theme in the Migrations lecture was the intimate connection between culture and the physical geography of Alaska. I particularly enjoyed this topic as I was teaching a unit on physical geography in my classes at the time. Often, it is easy to discuss culture in a vacuum, as if it were something that ancient peoples were just born with or decided on one day. We often forget that culture is created out of circumstance and opportunity. The kinds of foods that a tribe eats or the type of shelters that they build are going to depend entirely on geography. Geography not only creates culture, but history as well. I thought it was really valuable for our first class to be given a detailed picture of the state that we live in and all of the unique physical aspects of it. Alaska is such a large place, that there are dozens of different environments that influence an equally diverse group of cultures and peoples. Understanding geography and its connections to and influence over people and societies is a foundational piece of knowledge, without which we don’t have a full picture or a complete understanding of our subject matter.

Which articles surprised you and why?

Most intriguing to me was the section on Subsistence and Relationship to Land, Waters, and Wildlife. When discussing Alaska Native hunting and fishing rights (or even health care benefits exclusive to Alaska Native populations) I often hear comments along the lines of “Well, that’s just not fair.” “I thought people were all supposed to be equal.” However, my least favorite is the ridiculous (and wrong on so many levels) “reverse racism” argument. I thought this article was very insightful and did a fantastic job of highlighting the fact that subsistence is inherently connected to culture and identity and that “justice” is often a very different thing than “equality”.

I think the authors did a great job of pointing out what is at the very foundation of this conflict: knowledge and wisdom are increasingly existing separately and valued unequally as two separate and mutually exclusive concepts. Rather, knowledge is dangerous without wisdom and it is this fundamental lack of respect for wisdom and desire for knowledge that has created a divide between traditional Alaska Native cultures and those who are focusing only on the development of a cash-based economy.

What I found most surprising and interesting in this section were the different Alaska Native perspectives on commercial mining, drilling and logging. I am not a member of an Alaska Native group, but I am a second generation Alaskan, and growing up here has caused me to develop my own very strong opinions on mining, drilling and logging. My meager 27 years here, however, or even my family’s 50+ years in this state can’t hold a candle to hundreds of generations and thousands of years of culture, investment, identity and history. It is easy to assume that your opinions will mirror others’ or that you can study a bit and read a few articles and know exactly what someone might think or feel on an issue. I was pleasantly surprised to read that even within Alaska Native communities there are multiple and varying perspectives on the pros and cons of attempting to maintain a traditional lifestyle and “responsible stewardship” of the land while also adapting to an ever changing world. To read the perspectives of those who have been working intimately with ANCSA and also have strong cultural ties to subsistence was enlightening. It also served as a further reminder that, even though we often discuss Alaska Native peoples as one large group, within that communities are dozens of unique cultural experiences, languages, histories, perspectives, knowledge bases and goals. One decision can effect multiple groups very differently, so it is vital when discussing these issues, that we not minimize the multitude of perspectives and ways in which people and lands will be effected by economic changes and decisions made in the future.

Finally, how might you utilize this information in the classroom?

So many of these articles were so much clearer than I often am in the classroom! I would love to have my students read them directly, particularly the articles on ANCSA, subsistence living and the effects of colonialism on Alaska Native cultures. Too often we are inundated with negative imagery and stereotypes of other cultures, that I believe it is vital for students to understand that there is a rich and often difficult history behind Alaska Native groups that needs to be clearly understood before any type of judgment can be passed.

One of my favorite parts about this text is also one of the simplest things about it. I greatly appreciate that many of the perspectives and articles are written by members of Alaska Native groups. I think it is incredibly important to allow all groups (particularly those who have been historically oppressed or silenced) to speak for themselves. This is a tricky situation for me in particular, as a blond-haired, green-eyed white woman teaching Alaska Studies. I think it is valuable for my students to understand culture from the perspective of those who belong to that culture, rather than an interpretation on that culture, be it from a textbook, a curriculum guide or a teacher.

I also think that this book is super great at focusing on some vital issues that are often in the news and discussed in our communities, but not always addressed in a classroom setting. I remember distinctly taking Alaska Studies when I when I was in high school (yes, I am that young!) and learning LOTS about Alaskan history and traditional culture, but I couldn’t tell you was a Native Corporation was or what ANCSA stood for if my life depended on it. I fully intend to use this text to teach my students about the issues that are, whether they realize it or not) directly effecting their daily lives. 

• The themes highlighted about migrations were two fold.  First, the land was directly related to the survival of the indigenous people.  Second, because each group settled in a different region the groups differed in subtle ways dictated by the specifics of the region.  

Many examples were provided in the lecture about how the different regions of Alaska provided a subsistence lifestyle for its inhabitants.  For example, the Arctic region provided whale, or other ocean creatures.  And the Interior region groups rely more on subsistence from rivers such as salmon.  However, both regions provide caribou to its people.  

The groups differed in ways specific to the region that was settled.  For example, the Inupiat people made dwellings made of sod as opposed to wood because no trees grow in the region.  But the Tlingit built dwelling made of wood because there were plenty of trees to use in their region.

All Alaska Native groups adapted to their specific areas by subsisting on and finding shelter from the resources available.  Each region offered different natural resources that dictated the  accomplishment of these goals.  

Initially I was surprised by the negative response to ANCSA from some Alaskan Natives because it seems like a realistic compromise and it differs from the governments historical treatment of Native Americans from other states.  However, upon further reflection I can understand some discouragement because ANCSA still has an expectation that some cultural traditions be abandoned and a certain degree of assimilation be accepted.

I was also surprised by the impact of climate change on Alaska in general and on the Alaska Natives in particular.  The fact that we are at “ground zero” is eye opening.  This will effect all Alaskans in the near and far future but it will effect Native Alaskans more if subsistence is impacted negatively.

I would utilize this information in the classroom in several ways.   First it is important for Alaskan educators to be aware of the historical relevance of the Alaska Native story in order to promote pride and understanding to all our students.  Secondly, if we want our students to have a positive future in our schools and prepare them for college/career we as educators need to include Native studies in our instruction.  Finally, Alaskan educators have a duty to teach to the cultural standards that our school districts disseminate to us.

Some of the themes highlighted in the Migration lecture were the relationship between Native Alaskans and the environment. While early peoples were dependent on the land for survival, there was not the sense that it needed to be economically exploited or “bent” to the human will. There was (and is) a sense of co-existentence—more symbiotic than colonial European westering people. Even the term “eco-region” does not bring the same sense of exploitation of western expansion. As a literature teacher as well as a history teacher, I see the land is its own character in the Alaskan drama. We also have this book in our district:

7314575666?profile=original

Which shows connections between the Chukota area and our own.  I was also intrigued by the names of places—while western cultures tend to name places based on events or geographical features, native names seem to indicate whether there is a positive or negative relationship with the area—indicating whether the place is beneficial to survival or hinders it.

I was surprised by the role of the sea, and that earlier people were more dependent on the land; in teaching Alaskan history there is a tendency to emphasize the sea resources as this is what Russians and the promyshlenniki were after. The idea that resources from the sea was an innovation that actually changed the organization of social structures for early Alaskans is interesting. Certainly sedentation allows for more innovation and contributed to the invention of new tools and practices, but also more artistically figured creations as well. Leisure time that resulted from plenty and stationary living also allowed for more acquisitiveness.

Our district curriuculum used to be organized in such a way that students received instruction in Alaskan history in the primary, elementary, middle and high school grades. Now it is only local history in the primary grades, and Alaska history in the high school. And since the high school syllabus only allows for a semester of Alaska History to be taught, the prehistory elements generally get glossed over quickly. Perhaps the scope and sequence should be modified to allow for more time in the prehistory section, to address some of the themes brought up in the Migration section and other resources. While our students generally have bilingual/bicultural classes as well, they must also include language, skin sewing, harvesting, etc. As well as local history, family trees, music, etc. Just seems as if prehistory should also be given a more prominent place in the district mandated curriculum scope and sequence as well.  This would certainly present native Alaskans as more agents of change than casualties; more done by rather than done to. . 

Several things that stood out to me in the lecture is the vastness of the state. Having grown up in Alaska and having lived in a state with an extensive road system, that there are so many areas of my state that I have never visited is always a bit incredible. The eco-regions are also worth mentioning. When I taught Alaska studies, it always made sense to start with the geography as it made studying indigenous groups (both historic and contemporary) more understandable. Humans around the world use accumulated wisdom to survive and adapt to changing conditions. That we are here more than ten thousand years after the fact is testament to indigenous intelligence and adaptability.

• Which articles surprised you and why

It wasn't so much a specific article as the nature of some of the questions. It is important to address stereotypes and misconceptions because it shines a glaring light on how poorly educated the greater public is about Native Americans in general, and for the purposes of this class, Alaska Natives in particular. Just very recently, a friend of mine came under attack for having a vocational training session "completely paid for." She is a member of both regional and village corporations who are supportive of educating and training shareholders to become productive members of their communities. If her classmates had been conversant about the particulars of ANCSA, perhaps they might have been more sensitive. More powerfully, if it had been taught well in public school she could have been able to educate her ignorant classmates.

The articles by Larry Merculieff were especially enlightening. There are certain realities that Alaska Natives must live with, however his suggestions on the role Alaska Natives can fill would be incredibly informative and perhaps empowering for young people.

The idea that physical geography shapes history is one that I have been drilling into my students heads since taking Dr. Van Dommelen’s Historical Geography (I believe this to be the class title, although I attended this class 8-10 years ago..). I remember reading about the Norse people and having the idea that truly, communities develop based on their geographic surroundings being an almost enlightening experience.

Within this text, there are numerous connections between Katie’s lecture, highlighting the connection between environment and native cultures. Within the section on Identity, Language, and Culture, the text focuses on the basic understanding that native cultures did not develop in spite of their environmental surroundings but due to them. On the map on page 3 (which we use in Ak Studies), you can see the physical geographic boundaries of varying native groups, in particular the Aleut or the Inupiaq.

Under the section Subsistence and Relationship to Land, Waters, and Wildlife, it is clearly written “Land and water, combined with sunlight, are the source of all things used by all people on the planet to survive and thrive. Indigenous cultures are, perhaps, more highly aware of their importance than many other modern societies because they have lived directly from the land, water, and wildlife for tens of thousands of years, rather than engaging in agricultural or industrial economies.” (pg. 33)

Which articles surprised you and why?
    Paul Ongtooguk’s article on Native corporations and extracting natural resources was enlightening to say the least. My family happens to be shareholders of a village corporation, we do sometimes have to answer basic questions like “Why aren’t the corporations doing more for native people?” Or “These Native corporations should step up and help with the homeless population/problem!” Most Alaskans do not understand the basics of ANCSA, not every Alaska native is a shareholder and these corporations do/should turn a profit. I found Paul’s analysis of the amount of land that was granted to conservationist versus the native peoples of Alaska eye opening. I have always heard that some have been or are unhappy with the ANCSA settlement but never understood fully why? The chance to be apart of something revolutionary (corporations that benefit the PEOPLE!) seemed like an amazing opportunity. The whole picture painted by Mr. Ongtooguk’s article, 44 million acres verses what would eventually become 100 million acres under ANILCA illustrates a very understanding picture of the disappointed few.
    Mr. Ongtooguk also touched on the idea of having in-state leadership development of potential talent for employment within the corporations. This brought about some thoughts on the historical management within these corporations. If you have had a population that has been economically and educationally discriminated against (Alaska Natives), the level of in-state, proficient talent from the Alaskan native population would not necessarily be abundantly available. Who these corporations hired at first, from outside of Alaska, may not have been very beneficial to the corporations, due to simple ignorance of traditional native customs and the overall direction of the corporation. I can understand how many corporations trusted, for better or worse, outside talent to manage these businesses. Even my family's corporation, today, has a President that resides in Seattle!?!

Other articles of interest were from the tribal government section. Within my classroom I use “We the People of Alaska” curriculum from the Institute of the North. The sections on government and citizenship are always the most difficult for my students to grasp. The article on reservations in Alaska was wonderful just for my own knowledge. I was surprised that the answer to the question of casinos in Alaska was not truly settled until a 1996 Supreme Court ruling defining “Indian Country”. The Venetie decision stated that native owned lands here in Alaska do not fit the definition of “Indian Country” and thus are ineligible for casino development. I always get one or two students that ask about casinos here in Alaska, this was a surprisingly succinct and straight to the point answer.

Finally, how might you utilize this information in the classroom?
    Students within ASD are to have had some sort of Alaska history before they reach me for 9th grade. I have found that their knowledge truly varies, some students have had in depth instruction of native cultures and Russian interactions but more often than not, they are very knowledgeable on the plants and animals found in Alaska. Occasionally, I will receive students who have prior knowledge on the sale of Alaska, but only occasionally.Therefore, it is up to me to try and fit all this great, huge, rich history into ONE semester of high school.

This particular book is great for those teachers that have never been to Alaska and are just stepping off the plane to their new bush job. It also however, is written in a format and level that is easily accessible to 9th grade students. Within my classroom we study human migration, native cultures, colonization, ANCSA, etc. We study all of this content without an actual textbook. ASD does have document readers for student use, but they can be confusing and frustrating for students to navigate (not to mention some content is not out of date). I would love to have a class set of this book to use as a research tool for my students as we start our “We the People of Alaska” unit. The issues of tribal governments/sovereignty are always the most intellectually taxing concepts for my students. The question and answer format of this book will be extremely helpful to my students when it comes to the concepts like tribal governments and sovereignty.

The themes highlighted in the lecture included a discussion on Alaska’s predominant ecoregions; how the diverse landscapes of Alaska were formed (plate tectonics); human migration to Alaska via Beringia, their adaptation to the environment and its impact on their culture; and the impact of Alaska’s physical diversity on its people today.

I appreciated the articles pertaining to Alaska Native education. I was not surprised by the article “How are traditional Alaska Native ways of educating young people different from non-Native educational practices?”, except to says that I do not believe it to be an practice unique to Native Americans. If my families survival depended on its expertise with their environment, it would immediately become the dominant theme, if not sole purpose, of education.

This article brings out how children learn best. Far from being seated in rows listening to a teacher expert, children, learn best as they actively participate and engage the task along side the practical and purposeful real-time example of their teachers (parents, tribal leaders, older siblings).

What was new to me also came from this section, but focused on Healthcare. I admit, having family who are native, I have felt some frustration with their claiming they need transportation and house for a medical appointment in Anchorage, where they also receive per diem, only to take advantage of the incredible and impressive machine that is Native Health care in Alaska. This is frustrating because there have been times when I have needed to access medical care for my son and the hospital has been so overwhelmed with minor issues that we have spent up to 18 hours in a bed in the emergency room. What I had not previously known or considered was the full explanation for the provision of these services. The article “Do Native people get ‘free’ medical care” shed some light on this topic for me. The idea of it being “pre-paid” is new. I has also never seen in writing, the acceptance of responsibility for the contributions made by the country to the severity of Native American health. At some point, I hope our nation comes to a point where individuals can share in the accountability for their lifestyle decisions that contribute to their physical health.  At present, it would be a hard sell to disconnect the current heath challenges from a history of disenfranchisement and policies to eradicate, or at least marginalize, Alaska Native cultures.

At the elementary level, I would look to take advantage of the physical geography material from the webinar. I was fascinated to learn about Beringia and I think that world and what scientists believe it to be would be a definite hook for students. Comparing the different Alaska Native cultures in relation to their particular geographic location would also be fascinating as students look to create a picture of the day in the life of a given tribe in relation to others from different parts of the state. The investigation could further expand to include the Steppe peoples of Russia and Asia as well as the First Peoples of Canada.

• *Which themes were highlighted in the Migrations lecture?

Even though I have lived in Alaska most of my life I was once again reminded of how many amazing resources and diverse biomes we have in Alaska and how through the centuries people that have survived and adapted to what many would deem too harsh of an environment to live in.   Diverse cultures have lived off of the land in a variety of ways to survive and thrive through the ages.  The lecture furthered my knowledge of how people migrated to the various parts of Alaska and how each of the native groups have similar relationships between the land and the resources.

*What articles surprised you and why?

Although there wasn't any articles that really surprised me, I appreciated the debate and insight that different Native leaders shared.  The challenge of protecting culture, land and resources of the Alaskan people is not an easy task.  I liked what Paul Ongtooguk said about this challenge on p. 41 "Those involved in Native issues wrestle with the huge challenge of how to help lift the economic boats of the Alaska's Native peoples while simultaneously protecting cultures, land and waters of our peoples."    I think ANCSA was important because it has helped protect both the land and the use of its resources for the Alaskan Natives and their descendants.  As someone who has lived in a small bush village, I am only too familiar with the economic challenges that many people face.  The book also mentioned the many social issues such as suicide and alcoholism that are widespread and affect many rural communities.  Perhaps the biggest challenge lies in how communities will work together to protect the integrity of the traditional ways of their ancestors while adopting certain "western" values and lifestyles.

* How will I use this information in my classroom?

I am a 3rd grade teacher, so all year long we learn about the land and people of Alaska.  I will use many of the resources and information that is shared to enrich my instruction with my students.  I am excited to gain a better knowledge about the specific Native groups and how they have survived in our "Great Land" over the centuries.

• Which Themes Were Highlighted in the Migrations Lecture?

It is amazing to learn that Alaska is almost one-fifth as large as the rest of the United States. It is a vast land of natural wonders, magnificent beauty, and extraordinary wilderness. America's largest state holds the tallest mountains and temperate rain forest in North America, along with the world's largest bears, moose, and salmon. With its three million lakes and wild rivers, stunning parks and wildlife refuges Alaska is unlike any place on Earth. It is also amazing to see different groups come across and survive harsh temperatures and survive. I am so proud to have been born and raised in such an amazing state.

Which Articles Surprised You and Why?

I have known for sometime now that climate change is affecting Alaska's Native communities. I met a couple a year ago who told me they saw a polar bear drown because the polar ice caps they rely on from one area of land to another had melted. Although polar bears are strong swimmers the distance was too great. The article points out that Alaska and its people are at "ground zero." I just never realized how bad things are getting. With water levels changing and shorelines being destroyed, I just hope policy-makers and an act of God can protect the people, animals, water, and land of this great state.

When I visit other states like New Mexico, I often go to casinos on reservations. I often wondered why Alaska has no casinos in the state. I know a lot of Alaskans  who like to play bingo...why not have a few casinos on reservations in our state? 

I now know why there are no casinos in the state. All native corporations own their own lands outright; unlike reservation lands in the lower 48 states. Also, Native run casinos can only operate in states that allow gambling. Alaska does not permit gambling except for limited gaming. 

A number of people are against gambling because they say it damages families and fuels other addictions, but I agree with those who say gambling can generate income for tribal welfare, scholarships, and homes. 

While reading the article on the dropout rate of Alaska natives, I think the problem is we need to tailor our teaching methods to their style of learning. WE need to keep their culture in mind.I have read many articles about Alaska Natives dropping out of  high school and college. If I had to hear lecture after lecture I would probably drop out too. We need to incorporate more hands-on and using visuals when teaching a group who comes from a different culture. I see a culture clash when they "walk into another world." Not only are they dropping out of school, many are committing suicide.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Alaska Native Cultures and Issues. I learned a lot about their histories, cultures, and important issues. The book was well written.

How Might I Utilize This Information in the Classroom

I have always wanted to have a better understanding of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act. This book has answered many of those questions. The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act brought up many questions about Alaska's land. I know that in 1980, Congress passed a law called Alaska National Interests Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA). This acts sets aside more of Alaska's land for national parks, preserves, and wildlife refuges. I want to get my students to understand that Alaska is one of the most beautiful places in the world and that we need to learn how to take care of the land. We need to use our natural resources wisely and plan carefully to ensure we can keep our land safe and animals alive. We need to protect and keep our first Alaskans and their culture alive.

This reply was deleted.