Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Final Project Exhibition Hall

The Reply Box below should contain details that answer the following questions about your project:  

• TITLE OF PROJECT,
  • WHO was your target audience?  
  • WHAT was your main learning goal?  
  • COLLABORATORS, if used- who were they, and why were they chosen? 

All the documents associated with this project should then be ATTACHED as files to your message so that they are included together as your reply to this thread when you submit it.

Here's a quick TUTORIAL on how to attach files to this forum, in case you're unsure...

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Title:

The Women Who Fought Segregation: A Look at Alberta Schneck and Elizabeth Peratrovich

Audience:

3-5 grade

Main Learning Goal:

Help students to further their understanding of the existence of segregation in Alaska in the early to mid 1900's.

Final (Alaska Encounters).pdf

• Alaska Native Legends

Grades 3-5

Learn important cultural values of each major AK Native group from legends handed down from generation to generation.

Lesson Plan Ak Studies.pdf

Unit Test2.pdf

Girl Who Married Moon.pdf

• Lesson Plan Outline: The First Alaskans

2. Grade range: 2-4th, Target 3rd grade

Learning Objectives:

• How did the First Alaskans use the land for their culture and traditional ways of living?
    • The impact of European explorers on the people, resource and the land.
    • How do the First Alaskans work to keep their cultural ideas nad ways of life alive in a changing world and land?
      • Standard A student should understand that history is a record of human experiences that links the past to the present and the future.
        • A student who meets the content standard should:
        • understand that history is a narrative told in many voices and expresses various perspectives of historical experience;
        • know that history is a bridge to understanding groups of people and an individual’s relationship to society; and
        • 9) understand that history is a fundamental connection that unifies all fields of human understanding and endeavor. 

Lesson Plan Outline- First Alaskans.docx

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7314582256?profile=original
  • Jim Crow in Alaska

9th Grade Alaska Studies Class

Expand students understanding of Jim Crow laws in Alaska past.

No collaborators. 

All materials are either uploaded or links can be found within the lesson plan. 

2LessonPlanAkHistoricalThreads (1).pdf

JimCrowinAlaska3fGuide1.docx.pdf

JimCrowPriorKnowledge.docx.pdf

• Culture Brokers--Agents of Change
    • 9-12 grades History
    • Learning Goal: Analyze historic documents, including photographs and personal stories to better

understand the importance of examining past actions as examples of agency

• Collaborators: None

Culture Brokers-Agents of Change lesson.docx

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7314581483?profile=original
    • Assault Weapons Aren’t for Sporting Purposes
    • Grade 12 Journalism 
    • Examine how Natives have utilized mass media to express self-determination
    • COLLABORATORS: None

Assault Weapons Aren't for Sporting Purposes

• Title: Jim Crow in Alaska and the  Inequality of Today
    • Audience:  9-12th Graders  
    • Main Learning Goal: Analyze Jim Crow laws and the impact it made in Alaska. Using this information, students will interact with their community to explore the impact of inequality today. 
    • COLLABORATORS: none 

If any of the links are missing or corrupted, here is my google drive.   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1-01DkuFRUFVUx6V19LbktPR3M

(the master PDF is at the bottom. I deleted it, thinking I could reupload it.)

WhatAreJimCrowLaws.pptx

Jim Crow Images.pptx

Jim Crow in Alaska and The Inequality of Today - Google Drive
  • Title: Alaska's National Parks

Audience: 9-12 Grade

Learning Goal: How do Alaska’s national parks demonstrate Alaska’s unique cultures, human history, and natural history?

Collaborators: None

Alaska’s National Parks by Eli Barsy.pdf

AKParkiMovie.pdf

AKParksResearch.pdf

• Title of Project: Silver Gold! (an unlimited entry salmon fishing simulation designed to model the tragedy of the commons)

Target Audience: 9-12 in AK Studies, Biology, Ecology, or Economics

Main learning goal: My main learning goal is that students will understand the necessity of management of natural resources, and how statehood has allowed Alaska to optimize salmon harvests.

I am attaching the lesson plan in pdf. The pdf has active links to all resources required for the execution of this unit, unfortunately if I modify anything, the pdf will become obsolete, so I recommend instead of the pdf you  click on this link right here to view in Google Drive.

SilverGoldLessonPlans.docx.pdf

Silver Gold Lesson Plans.docx
    Theodore Lindley Encounters in AK Studies Final Project Outline Spring 2016 University of Alaska-Anchorage tad_lindley@lksd.org c 907 545-1686 Title…
  • Title of Project: Religious History of the YK Delta

Who: 9th-12th grade village students of the YK Delta

What: Understand the historical religious movement from Shamanism to Russian Orthodoxy/Moravianism in the YK Delta

Presentation on Shamanism 

Body Rituals of the Nacirema

Links to other resources are included in the body of the document.

Religious History of the YK Delta.docx

Shamanism
    Shamanism A Brief Overview Prepared by Seraphima Carl, Ph.D. For Historical Threads in Alaskan Society Spring, 2016 UAA
This reply was deleted.