Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• A primary source image is an original document such as a picture, ad, video, or cartoon.

It is also in the intent of the use of the source.  If it is intended to be used to learn about something

from a first hand experience it would be considered a primary source.

• A primary source is one that comes from a person who lived through the event being described, whether this comes through a painting or photograph.

• Primary is something that is of the greatest relevance or significance.  Primary sources are original sources that are the most relevant or significant because they give the viewer a first hand look of an event.  Based on this morning's discussion, we should consider bias and staging and also research the stories behind the photographs when we view all primary source photographs. 

• Primary sources are original documentations. Images can be used to send messages and persuade. Editing the original documents makes it a secondary source.

• That all depends on the type of image, I suppose. If a group is trying send a message and they ask someone to come in and take photos (i.e. the burning monk, the suffragists protesting the White House) then there needs to be a certain amount of staging. However, if you're recording images of of a battlefield, or a riot, or even something like a a church service, I think it's important that things aren't staged. 

I think the biggest thing, for me, is that details aren't omitted or added. Photoshopping (or earlier equivalents), I think, get rid of most (or all) integrity of a photo/painting. To me, once you start (intentionally) adding/omitting details it becomes a work of fiction.

I realize there are lots of holes in my argument (journals include/omit all kinds of details), but when something is supposed to be an exact "copy" of an event/object, I think it's important that the image does its utmost to capture it purely.

• Any image is a primary source because it depicts a view of an event that is or was occurring at the time.  There is a reason why each photograph is taken.  One must consider that every photograph carries with it the bias of the photographer and the photograph only portrays a part or piece of the event.  I like to think of it as seeing a  frame or clip in a movie.  Individually, they tell a part of the story, not the entire story.  Using photographs as primary sources, we are presented with a piece or view of the entire event it depicts, not the entire story.

• A primary source is any document that came from the time period being studied. A photograph captures a specific moment in time, and provides us with an opportunity to visualize the beauty and drama of the past. As with any source, however, it is important to consider the message(s) being conveyed through the relationship that existed between the photographer and the subject, for any primary source is subjected to the bias of its creator. 

• Art and photography can be used as a primary source when it is the origianal photo. Photos that are not altered in anyway or staged. The real problem is to know whether or not it is staged unless you are there. 

• I think an image is a primary source if it captures a time and place from someone who was there at the time and partook, or witnessed, an event.  I feel that bias will appear an every type of primary source, like a letter, diary, photograph, etc, and that this does not necessarily make the primary source less important.  However, I also think that if someone comes in after an event has taken place, and stages an event to look different than it originally was, like moving the body in a battlefield, that this is not a primary source.  Being able to determine this might be hard to do though, and so many pictures may not look staged even though they are. 

• Images should be shot from whatever point the photographer is at during the event.  The photo should encompass as much of the scene as possible to give the greatest perspective to the event.  As with the shot of the Civil War soldier being moved or "positioned" in the shot.  When images are shot in a series they should be portrayed in a series being tied to one another.

This reply was deleted.