Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

Replies

• We spent one week learning how to analyze political cartoon,s and even if we still walk thru it each time we do it, there are definitely students who are able to analyze them well, and who enjoy accessing the historical information in a non-literate way.

I plan to work more with pictures.  Some of the things I plan to do is find the story behind each of the pictures, know the details (esp. interesting ones) behind the photos, and find music that goes with them.  I hope to alert students to colors and how colors show what is happening in the painting.

I hope to still learn how to best encourage students to really analyze a photo.  I do not like the attitude of students that art and photos are simple and "stupid" because the teacher spends so long with one photograph ("the teacher" spends less than 2 minutes per photo).  How to I help them see deeper things in the pictures/art?

• I am going to focus on the Alaskan Gold Rush, focused on the Chilkoot Trail. I have loved looking at the art work to create discussions. The art work with the background stories is my learning style. It would also be helpful to compile a group of photographs of the people traveling and the hardships they faced. I have a few books about the children of the gold rush. It would be great to get a comparison going between the lives of the children then and their lives now. I would like to find some art work that might display some of the technology that was available at the time. 

• I feel like this concept, using art and photography to create mental images, is something I know I should do, but don't actually do enough in my classroom.  I think it will take a bit more prep work to get lessons ready that utilize art, but I'm hoping this will actually pique my students' curiosity.  I intend on using some of the images for each unit you broke down in the academic plan in my U.S. History class.  My goal is to incorporate either a piece or art, or some music, or both into each of the units I have from now until the end of the year.  I'm not sure if I'll be successful in using at least piece of art per unit, but I'm going to do my best.  I love the women's suffrage power point, so I'll likely use many of those images and video clips to make history come alive.

• I have enjoyed the morning.  Most of the pictures and lessons have been geared toward older students but they have been getting me thinking about what I can do to bring things to life for the students.  I like the thought of using pictures and paintings from a given era combined with video clips to help a time in history come alive.

This reply was deleted.