Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

NHD Class Reflection

Write a reflection piece for the class.

*How do you plan to implement NHD in your school next year? (Share your ideal vision.)
*What skills did you learn in this year's NHD class?
*Do you find the technology doable? Or would you like more support and training?

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Next school year I plan on doing more project based assignments, rather the just doing regular research papers.  I really enjoyed doing the group cooperative project with the other teachers in my group, and got some really good ideas from them on other projects to do for next school year.  Also, I enjoyed getting started how to set up your own web page.
  • This was a very interesting class, both fun and engaging. The project based learning model is an exciting way to teach because it is very hands on for students. The collaboration among professionals was outstanding and I learned a lot from others.

This year, I will not use NHD in my classroom because I will be teaching 2nd grade. However, the information here was valuable and very useful for all grade levels. It will have to be adapted for the younger grades, but this is easily done. Learning with primary documents is very important for students of all ages and inquiry based learning can and should be taught beginning at a very early age.

I will be taking the information back to my school to share with the middle/high school social studies teacher, to consider. I do hope she finds an interest in it and uses it as part of the curriculum. The students in rural areas would benefit from this type of project because resources are limited out there and this will give them the opportunity to use the internet for more educational purposes.

Weebly can come in handy for the students because technology is so important in educational settings. I have never heard of it before and am glad it was introduced as a part of this class. I can see where it fits into the educational setting and it is another tool for students to learn and grow.

Thank you for the opportunity to become a part of something bigger and better in education.

• I plan to use the HND as an option for students to join as an optional project like a science fair.
    I will expose my whole class to the NHD and support students that want to join the contest.  I learned web page skills and I movie skills.  Yes I find the technology doable with more practice.  I alwa
    ys like more training especially if there is more $$$$. 
  • I am incredibly excited to implement National History Day in my classroom next school year, and hopefully as a leader in my school in the next few years. My plan for this coming school year is to use the National History Day program as the second semester research project in place of a major research paper in 10th grade US History. I also plan on using the NHD program in my 9th grade World History classes, but I will be working on a different timeline, so will likely not be competing with 9th graders at the competition. Lastly, I'd also like to explore using NHD with my Alaska Studies courses, but will need to figure out logistics for a semester-long class.

The primary skills I learned from this course were basically how to implement a NHD program in my classroom! I also learned how to create (and improve before August) a few different examples of NHD projects that I will be able to show my students before letting them loose!

Lastly I absolutely found the technology doable, but would like more information on PC tools my students can use to create documentaries.
  • My Ideal vision includes having 3 hours of social studies time every week for the first quarter.  If this happens then I will simply present the National History Day curriculum requirements to the students, assigning a project and working through the curriculum with the students.  I normally do not have this time each week.  However, I can see combining social studies time with writing/language arts time and produce a project which meets requirements aligned with my writing/reading program.

I learned how to produce a social studies project with my team, using collaborative techniques and computer/internet and office supplies!   I learned how to produce a documentary and a webpage for use with National History Day.

I found the weebly site reasonably easy to use.  I am using a school supplied netbook type computer to participate in class.  I found that somewhat painful, but did not have a school supplied laptop or regular computer to use.  I'm sure with my own tools I will have no problems.  I would like additional support creating websites on the apple platform or on a pc platform.  I really enjoyed this class and look forward to receiving additional materials to help support me in implementing this program in my classroom.

• 1.  I may try to implement this into my curriculum next year.  I am concerned about 2 things.  1 - the amount of time suggested for the project in class and 2 the "glitches" connected with this technology.  The chaos at the end of the class is an example of something I don't want to have happen in my class next year.

2. The resources on the ANUHA site were helpful - I found lots of connected resources that I will use regardless of doing NHD or not.  I also learned a bit about Weebly - but still need more time experimenting with this site.  Finally I knew a bit about imovie before the class, but I learned a bit more.

3.  My school has technology - but I am concerned as I am not a computer geek.  We have a tech in the building but they are always stressed out and overworked.  I am also concerned that all the machines in the building may not have the capabilities or some may and some may not - It's one thing for technology to crash or not work with a room full of teachers - it's another thing with a room full of high school students.  Realistically I will use this program if I teach myself as the inservices and trainings really don't address my individual needs.

R. Warren

• I am not sure if I will do the full NHD program however I will at least have a major project that will rely on this information and very likely will even follow the theme this year. This class gave me a better idea of what is possible for project based learning and exactly how involved a project can be even for younger kids. My favorite part of this class was learning about Weebly, this is a great tool and I can see many uses for this program, I could make my own website which I could then edit at home (unlike the ASD one) or I could have students make their own informative website, i think students would learn a lot about history through this tool. This technology is completely doable, I can see a crazy classroom with imovie, I don't think I have a good enough grip on that but I think that the website is easier to figure out. I don't think I need any more support or training for this.
  • 6-1-11

Keri St. Jeor

This has been a great class. As an administrator, I will not be using this project personally. However, I will be asking my teachers to do so and I will be able to help them find the resources they will need to bring this program to fruition. I can also help them justify spending the time it will take to successfully complete this program.

Also, as an administrator, having been through this class, I will be better able to anticipate the difficulties they may encounter and help set up any fund raising opportunities that may be needed.  I am now somewhat familiar with i-movie and Weebly now. I believe this is very doable and I look forward to helping teachers at my site incorporate this project.

• I will be in a more supportive role (at least hypothetically) since I teach language arts.  What is always helpful for me is the chance to work with the technology with someone around who can help me when I hit a snafu. I certainly will be able to use iMovie next year and help students when they want to do a movie for a project.

•   I teach third and fourth grade and will not be implementing NHD next year.  Although I teach at the elementary level, I found this course to be worth my time to attend.  The National History Day Competition is a great opportunity for students, and I feel this approach is project-based learning at its best with an age appropriate, student friendly focus. 

Listening to colleagues question and discuss history was inspirational.  Wow!! Some of the class participants really know their stuff.  I felt like a minor on a team of majors where content knowledge was concerned. 

Judging the documentary projects helped put into perspective the challenge a project like this poses for teachers.  I love using rubrics and especially those which both aid in grading/judging and can be used as a student resource.  The problem with judging/grading in general is how subjective to be.  As a teacher, I would take individual development into consideration.  As a judge for the actual competition on the other hand,  students are and should be scored according to the rubric to keep the integrity of the competition intact.  My hope is that teachers keep that in mind when assessing student work in the classroom.

This reply was deleted.