Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

NHD Class Reflection

Write a reflection piece for the class.

*How do you plan to implement NHD in your school next year? (Share your ideal vision.)
*What skills did you learn in this year's NHD class?
*Do you find the technology doable? Or would you like more support and training?

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As the only representative of the Seward schools in attendance, I'm hoping to bring the things I learned here today back to the two 6th grade teachers, HS SS teacher, Language Arts teacher, Drama and Art teachers.  With or without their involvement, I plan on implementing NHD in my 8th grade US history class as an assignment that compliments our curriculum.   

This years NHD class has opening some new doors of opportunity not only for my students, but for me to develop my teaching strategies.  This class has allowed me to experience new types of technology as well.  I've never before started a website or worked with iMovie, so it was nice to have the time to do that.  I found the technology to be very doable.  I'm frustrated with the fact that I always learn how to do this stuff on a Mac and my school has PCs.  I know I should just bring a school laptop to these classes, but I never get around to it.  If there was lots of time, it would be great to experience all of the facets of each type of tech a bit more. We spent a lot of time on the exhibits, and I would have liked to have had more time with iMovie and Website design.  Guess that's what my summer is for!  I'm glad I got my feet wet in each, though.  I appreciated the opportunity to see theatre presentations!  

• This class was a good intro to the NHD for me. It's always good to take a class in something this involved before introducing it to my students. I already do a similar project-based activity with my US History students and I think this will give me the opportunity to expand the options I give my students and give them a goal beyond getting a grade. 

I wish we had a little more time on the other options besides the exhibit. It seemed like most of the class already had a good idea already about how to facilitate that activity with their students. The presentation, website, and documentary portions are somewhat more challenging for teachers and more time on how to construct them would be helpful. It might have also helped to have a student who has gone through the process to come and talk about their experience with the project and their own personal reflections. 

Thanks for offering the class and putting up with a challenging group of teachers ;-O

• I really enjoyed this class.  I learned a lot of new things and the collaboration with others was fantastic.  I will not be implementing this in my classroom next year, unfortunately, because I teach 4th/5th grade and NHD is for 6th and up.  However, I will be doing my best to teach them the foundational skills that they need to be successful in NHD.  That will include more time spent on Historical Inquiry during my various units during the year, and also working on teaching them to write better paragraphs and essays.

I learned a lot about the different projects that students have done and how they link them to the theme.  I also learned a lot more about using primary source documents to support historical research.  Finally, I learned that students need to be able to make a connection between their historical research and their own lives. 

I found the technology completely doable.  I learned iMovie previously, but Weebly was something new.  Having spent more time with iWeb, it was somewhat challenging to do what I wanted with it.  I didn't pay as good of attention as I should have, so I had some difficulty adding a hyperlink (I just pasted the URL in).  However, I am confident that I will be able to go home and play with it, and figure it out.

This reply was deleted.