Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.

UAA 590 ASDSA 11 Essay #2

Essay #2 UAA History 590 ASDSA 11

Thomas Rushford

Jean Mitchell

Essay #2

There are many interpretations and points of view in history.  Our “traditional historians” usually present the event in history from one viewpoint.  Mr. Bender’s aim is to “offer another way of understanding the central events and themes of American in a context larger than the nation.”  He brings into account views from all sides of the globe for each event in American History.  One has to see the event in history from all sides.  One has to see the global picture.

In the first chapter, he sets the stage for the “age of discovery.”   Columbus calls this “another world” not a “new world.”  There were many global nations that had a large interest in this world.  The ocean was now a place to control.  He brings out all of the nations wanting a piece of this new discovery and wanting control.  Bender talks about the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Asian countries and their point of view to gain control. 

In the American Revolution, Bender talks about a comment made by James Madison at the Constitutional Convention.  The conflict between England and France helped in the American victory over England and the start of our nation.  Bender states that “ the revoluntary crisis of British North America was but one of many around the globe, all deriving from the competition among empires and the consequent reform of them. 

Throughout all of the chapters in his book, he brings out the fact that throughout American history, there are many different world events that shape our history. 

Bender’s book was hard to follow.  I needed to reread, look up information and then reread.  He does make a lot of sense.  It opened my eyes to look at the global situations throughout history and see its implications.  There is not just one opinion in the course of historical events, but also many global opinions.

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –