Welcome to the AK-CSS Members Forum! Please sign up to join the discussions.
I'm hoping this will be an on-going 2 week dialog about how to work through
the INQUIRY PROCESS

in your classroom
in order to complete an LCP.

That means no more tasks, just a conversation.  If I were you, I would definitely do this process this first time with me during your a-synchronous meeting time.  (Who knows---I might get a real job one of these days and not be here any more!)  

Remember at the end you have to turn in 3 LCPs, so you can toss this first one out if it's no good, or you can keep it.  :-)

So. . .  let's get going, shall we? 

HERE'S the link to the PROCESS RUBRIC that we designed for you. 

You need to be a member of Alaska Council for the Social Studies to add comments!

Join Alaska Council for the Social Studies

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Eric. Brilliant question! I am convinced more than ever if we give students spaces in classroom to dialog about their learning, they are able to internalize the knowledge in profound and indelible ways. What kind of feedback would you like and what grade level(s) do you teach? Have you tried using the Socratic seminar process in your classroom? I may have some classroom small group collaboration strategies (dubbed "talk moves") that could help put kids into smaller groups before they have to talk in big group. Would you be interested in seeing these?

Eric Ellefson said:
    Alright then...this seems as good a place as any.
    My Burning Question is "How do I encourage dialogue in classroom?"

Feel free to peruse my early drafting in my portfolio section of my ning (is my vocabulary correct with all this?)
    Link to my portfolio

Oh, and one other question - what kind of due dates exist on these?
    So What Exactly Do I Have To Do To Complete An LCP?????
    I'm hoping this will be an on-going 2 week dialog about how to work through the INQUIRY PROCESS in your classroom in order to complete an LCP.That me…
  • Crystal, I love the idea of teaching history using Native American stories. What grade level are you teaching? What kind of feedback would you like? I have an idea in terms of using Native American mandalas to examine Native American perspectives. Let me know if you'd be interested in hearing about this... Would you also be open to using poetry?

Crystal Nelson said:
    I am continuing to explore Native American story telling. My current burning question is, "In what ways can I help my students connect with Native American people and their history through their stories?" So far I have explored Handsome Lakes story that John gave us, and the "Spider Witch" Navajo story with my students. I want to continue to develop this topic as my first LCP because my students responded positively to these two stories. I loved hearing Native American stories as a child and my main purpose is for all of my students to relate to and connect with the people who told these stories.
    Let me know what you think.
    So What Exactly Do I Have To Do To Complete An LCP?????
    I'm hoping this will be an on-going 2 week dialog about how to work through the INQUIRY PROCESS in your classroom in order to complete an LCP.That me…
  • Hi everyone,

Here is what I've put together so far. Here's the feedback I need. Because I currently work with teachers (secondary SS and LA) and not students, I need you to read my inquiry and give me feedback from a teacher perspective. I've included current Enduring Understandings that are already in our LA/SS curriculum guides. I am attempting to facilitate a series of professional development trainings (both day long and then courses for credit) where teachers have the opportunity to engage in analyzing how they are teaching content, skill, and process within the secondary LA/SS classroom. I've attempted to place my burning question into an agenda framework that we are attempting to use in all our work with teachers. What makes sense and what needs more clarification?

Secondary LA/SS 21st Century Skill and Content Integration

Mary’s Big Burning Question: How do teacher leaders create and model collaborative learning communities within which teachers can engage in the inquiry model to deepen and enhance instruction as well as their own understanding of two essential curricular Enduring Understandings:

1. Literature, social studies, and writing provide opportunities to explore diverse points of view (7th grade).
    2. American literature and history chronicle struggle and create change in society (11th grade).

Essential Questions:
    • How does a shared and common vision of effective 21st century writing instruction in both secondary social studies and language arts improve student achievement (implies both content and skill growth).
    • What are effective instructional practices for teaching the writing process and how will we implement them?
    • How does adopting the teacher as writer lens allow teachers to more deeply and concretely understand the teaching of the writing process?
    • How does engaging in a common inquiry cycle focused on integrated SS/LA common enduring understandings and essential questions help us examine how learning communities create shared spaces to explore diversity.

Learning Targets:
    • To develop a shared understanding of writing as a process.
    • To develop a common understanding of how the My Access! model, Moodle, and Blog enhance the teaching of the writing process and further the understanding of American diversity?
    • To gain insight into the National Writing Project tenet of teacher as writer in order to further understand how this lens deepens our understanding of teaching writing.
    • To understand the power of the inquiry model by participating in a shared text analysis.

Success Criteria: At the end of our collaboration, participants will be able to
    • Explain how the My Access! model, Moodle, and Blog enhance the writing process which then in turn allows students to demonstrate their knowledge of diversity.
    • Return to their classrooms with concrete strategies to enrich their teaching of the writing process.
    • Reflect on how engaging in the teaching of writing through the lens of teacher as writer enhances the teaching of writing and furthers content knowledge of American diversity.
    • Reflect on the power of participating in the inquiry model cycle.
    • Reflect on the power of 21st century writing skills to enhance the understanding of American history and literature.
  • Alright then...this seems as good a place as any.
    My Burning Question is "How do I encourage dialogue in classroom?"

Feel free to peruse my early drafting in my portfolio section of my ning (is my vocabulary correct with all this?)
    Link to my portfolio

Oh, and one other question - what kind of due dates exist on these?
  • I am continuing to explore Native American story telling. My current burning question is, "In what ways can I help my students connect with Native American people and their history through their stories?" So far I have explored Handsome Lakes story that John gave us, and the "Spider Witch" Navajo story with my students. I want to continue to develop this topic as my first LCP because my students responded positively to these two stories. I loved hearing Native American stories as a child and my main purpose is for all of my students to relate to and connect with the people who told these stories.
    Let me know what you think.
  • OOOH Mary, I wanna see that, but model. This whole process of Inquiry was my Master's degree back in 2000. I have the model I developed through my inquiry process that I wouldn't mind sharing as well.

Furthermore, this kind of conversation is what will make this a sustainable process for History teachers---heck for any teachers---who want to be part of a learning/reflecting community. I wonder who would do this if they weren't getting credit. Hmmmm.
  • Hi Eric, Mark, and Cindee:

I am working on mine and I am thinking we could just post our questions or wonderings about how to proceed right here in the NING rather than clicking through all the profiles randomly.

Eric, I would love to be a sounding board for you and yes, I feel shaky, too. I think this is a normal part of the process. I am feeling shaky because I have so many questions and wonderings and feel like I really need to narrow my scope. I decided this morning that I would sit down and begin writing a narrative in terms of what my wonderings are and how they are connected.

I also really like the Process of Inquiry Rubric Cindee and folks have put together to guide us. I am focusing on the Reflect category right now. In my district, we are working with the University of Washington, Center for Educational Leadership, and they advocate doing a very similar process: taking detailed notes on what you are noticing in the classroom and then going down the rubric, we'll be able to go into the Wonder section. I'd love to see some of your noticings... just let me know where you'd feel comfortable for me to look and I will.

Finally, I am also attaching the diagram that UW's Center for Educational Leadership provided for us that gives me a really nice graphic for this kind of Inquiry work in the classroom. Let me know if you find it helpful.

• Hey Eric!

I would love to have that feature too, but alas------the drawbacks of free ware. I know Mary is working on hers. I think Mark Biberg MIGHT be working. That's all I know.

I'll try and figure out---or maybe you can---how we could possibly get that information for all of us in an easier way than clicking through.
  • Hey all.
    I've just gotten the most basic start to my first project. I still feel pretty shaky. I was wondering who else was doing this as well and feeling this way. Cindee, this might be a good question for you, but what's the easiest way that we can see who is trying stuff out without randomly clicking through peoples' profiles?

I was looking at the "connect" part of the rubric and thought it would be nice if we had a better idea of who was currently working and who was hanging back for this week.
  • Okay, hope to see you here! :-)
This reply was deleted.